UPDATE: Help! Pool turned green tint after major storm

I dont know what horror stories you are talking about. You are good to go to salt 30 days after the plaster is done.

Also you started this thread with test results that I believe are from your own test kit this morning. You need to get that FC up ASAP. Get it to a minimum of 10 to 12 based on your test kit.

Dont know what the rules are for SLAM a 6 week old pool. An expert will chime in on that.
Thank you. I’m the words of the pool service company they said oh bleached out and that’s why it wasn’t registering the chlorine when they tested it.

Maybe I shouldn’t listen to my pool service company!?!?!?
Great first start.

I doubt you have algae. For now, raise your FC to 20% of CYA and filter filter filter. Without a signature I do not know what pool equipment you have, but if you can vac to waste, do that slowly as much as you can.

In your climate, with a SWCG, you do not want to add any more CYA. So trihclor is finished.

Maybe I shouldn’t listen to my pool service company!?!?!?
Bingo. Not to knock all pool professionals but many don't get more than a week of training. On top of that, they probably have several dozens or hundreds of pools they take care of. They'll never get to "know" your pool like you will. A pool is like having a pet. You don't feed your dog once a week and forget about it.

Reactions: DanF
If it turned color as a result of rain overflow entering the pool the color change could possibly be due to dirt. This very same thing happened to me this spring, getting two inches of rain in an hour. With a cya of 80, bump your fc up to 11 and keep the pump on 24 hrs per day. It will take at least two days to see much change at all in clarity and color. Keep the fc at the 11 mark constantly, try not to let it fall much. Try taking pictures of the water to discern the difference, small changes are hard to tell with just the eye.

thank you! I found this on ACE's website, is this what you use?

TH Liquid Chlorinating Chemicals 1 gal.​

Yep! But the liquid chlorine at Walmart is $2/gallon cheaper so that is the best option if you can find a Walmart near you that has it in stock (which the walmart.com website will tell you).

Thank you everyone. I went to another pool store and they confirmed my results that the FC is at 2. They told me to put in 4 bags of 78% cal-hypo as they didnt have LC. Do you think this will do the trick? Pool Math only shows 73% as the highest.

thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The good news is that your CYA of 80 is perfect given that you are converting to salt. Dose the pool with liquid chlorine until FC =11 then keep it there. Filter and brush and vacuum constantly until the water is clear. Add salt up to the level that your SWCG manufacturer recommends. You will need Pool Math and a K-1766 test kit to assess how much salt to add and what your current level is. Wait 24 hours after the point you think your salt level is correct, test one last time, then fire up the SWCG.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thank you everyone. I went to another pool store and they confirmed my results that the FC is at 2. They told me to put in 4 bags of 78% cal-hypo as they didnt have LC. Do you think this will do the trick? Pool Math only shows 73% as the highest.

thank you!
Your CH is already 300 so I wouldn't add Cal-Hypo, unless you REALLY can't find liquid chlorine.

Reactions: cowboycasey

thank you!

Stop.

No pool store test, no pool company tests. YOU test your pool and post a new set of results. If you want to confirm results you test again and confirm the results. Also dont listen to the pool store.

Go buy some LC, we have told you where to find it. You cannot mix and match advice.

Now it is your pool, and you can do whatever you want, but the best results will come from listening to the experts here and following their advice precisely.

Stop.

No pool store test, no pool company tests. YOU test your pool and post a new set of results. If you want to confirm results you test again and confirm the results. Also dont listen to the pool store.

Go buy some LC, we have told you where to find it. You cannot mix and match advice.

Now it is your pool, and you can do whatever you want, but the best results will come from listening to the experts here and following their advice precisely.
Thank you! I will follow TFP!!

ok - please see below for my updated numbers. The water is quite cloudy but hopefully that will go away over the next 24 hours. I have my pump running at 3000 RPM and the vacuum going.

FC: 12
PH: 7.8
TA: 120
CH 375
CYA: 80

thank you for all of the help!

Reactions: Hootz
looks good, just remember your PH will test high when FC is over 10.. So when FC over 10 just test FC and CC :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.