Up and Running!

Aug 30, 2017
Victoria, BC Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks to everyone here for some advice on swapping from test strips to a Taylor kit. Startup went well. I managed to hard plumb in my crazy BBQ heater and add a sprayer, so the kids should have a blast this summer.

The pool was still filling during the shot, so it's a bit greenish, but you can see my car-radiator-bbq heater in action. I siphon from the pool using 1" PVC, into a holding tank (garbage can haha), which then pumps using a sump pump up through the BBQ. The holding tank is to keep the electrical out of the pool. I realize it's not 100% protected but it's on a GFCI too, so I figure it's better than dropping the pump in the pool. It costs around $0.25 per hour to run the heater via my natural gas BBQ and I get about 4-6F temp rise per hour (at last year's flow, now it's much higher) through the car radiator. So, it costs me about $1-2 per day to keep the kids happy. We just plumbed in the sprayer, which the 7 year old is super pumped about. I still need to trim my fire bricks to make a more perfect seal over the grill, but the heat transfer seems pretty efficient as it is.

While I commend your creativity, I have to be honest and say I have great concerns over safety here.

A hot grill so close to children playing??! An electrical device even *you* are aware of risks that you attempt to isolate it.

I don't know if I'm over reacting or what but.... i do not think this is a safe set up.

Maddie :flower:

The BBQ is cooler when running with the rad on top than when it's cooking dinner. I can put my hand directly on it after several hours running. Same/less risk as any BBQ in a backyard imho. The pump is one that I'm a bit on the fence about. With the isolation and GFCI I'm not too concerned, but I'll keep and eye on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.