Equipment/Pump Wiring

Mar 10, 2016
San Diego
Bought a house with a pool and the way it is wired up:
  • Two pumps, regular pump and a jet pump. Each on it's own circuit. Neither are GFCI. Single pole. So I'm assuming 110v.
  • Pool pump is an Pentair Superflo VSP.
  • Downline from the pool pump, is a GFCI outlet. From there it runs to another outlet by the BBQ island, and the pool lights.
  • Heater, SWCG is also on the pump circuit.
Thinking of having the wiring re-done by our electrician. He's not a pool experienced one however.

Is it advisable to move the switch to a GFCI breaker? If so I would need to replace the GFCI outlet with a regular one.
I know about efficiency for 115/230v for the pump. But I'm worried about effectiveness. 3450 rpm is 3450 rpm right? So the pump is still the same at 115v or 230v in moving water, just a bit less efficient at 230v? If so I won't bother asking him to move it to 230v? Because then the downline stuff would need to be moved off the circuit right?
Should the downline stuff (GFCI outlet, bbq island, pool lights) be removed from the pump circuit anyway?

Show a picture of your circuit breakers and current wiring for pumps, heater, lights, etc.
I would remove any non-pool items off of the pool circuit breakers.
The pool lights should be on a dedicated circuit with a GFCI receptacle
Have a dedicated circuit for each pump with GFCI circuit breaker. OK for Heater and SWCG connections. Do you have any automation or just to switches to operate each?
Are you positive the both pumps are 110V?

Ok I need to revise my previous statements. Everything was mislabeled and I went and tested everything. Both pumps are on their own circuit, 15amp 220v. They look like single levers but when you pull on it, the second one gets pulled too. I usually see like a bar or something connecting them.
There is another breaker, not GFCI, that goes to the GFCI outlet. From that outlet it goes down to the swcg, timer, heater, lights and BBQ island. The BBQ island is next to the pool, hence I think it's on the same loop.
Should I go ahead and put the pool pumps on a GFCI? Should I switch out the lights, etc. to a GFCI breaker and swap the outlet, or leave it as is. There is a GFCI device in front of everything.

Each pump should have its own GFCI breaker.
The CB for the lights does not need to be GFCI because that is wired to the GFCI receptacle which protects it. That is fairly standard on most lights for pools. The advantage is that is gives you a 110V outlet at the equipment pad if you need to plug in a light at night or something else for short term use.
My only concern would be the BBQ island because if you load that then it could trip the GFCI for the light. Would it be easy to have a separate circuit for the BBQ island? It would need to be GFCI protected.

You mention a timer. Will your SWCG turn off if you pump turns off? While a SWCG has a flow switch that tells it to operate or not, that is a secondary safety feature. The main safety is to have your SWCG lose power when the main pump turns off.

Maybe a photo of how that is wired may help us guide you. Show the wiring for the timer where the pump, heater and SWCG connect to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.