Up against the wall

Fuldo

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2017
Port Orange, FL
My 3 year old Pentair SF-N1-1H single speed pool pump is making a loud whining noise since Ian passed through. I've been away and the pump was allowed to run its normal schedule of 6 hours per day during the storm. The pump was never flooded so I suspect the pump may have ingested enough rain water to wipe-out the far bearing. The pump continued to run for days with the noise at normal pressure although it ran hot. I just asked a neighbor to shut it down and feed it liquid chlorine until I return.

I'm a big fan of the single speed pump. In my case I'm away for long periods and don't have anyone technically savvy to deal with something more sophisticated. That and Florida electricity rates are rather low and this pump costs me about $25 per month on average. I'd rather have something simple and robust than something more energy efficient.

That said, I was flabbergasted when I looked on-line for the same pump. The prices are 3-4 times what I paid a few years ago and there are some much more sophisticated models with variable speed available for less. Evidently the market has changed grossly. Now I'm wondering what my next step should be. I'm thinking of waiting until I return weeks from now and perhaps rebuild the motor or replace the whole pump then. On the other hand I'm thinking that supply may be a greater problem with time considering what's happening in Florida now. I can't justify putting $1000s into the solution at this point.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Doug

You are seeing the effect of the US Department of Energy (DOE) Federal Energy Efficiency regulations, as of July 19, 2021, on Dedicated Purpose Pool pumps (DPPP). Don't you love government acronyms? If you do, there are more to come courtesy of the DOE.

Pool pumps manufactured for use in and imported for use into the U.S. after July 19, 2021, must meet new minimum efficiency standards. Any pumps that are in the US before July 19, 2021 can continue to be sold. So for some period of time the old non-compliant pumps will be available and you can buy them until they run out of stock. At the same time manufacturers will be selling and promoting their new energy efficient pumps.

Look at replacing the motor as replacement motors are not yet covered by the regulations.

There are inexpensive VS options available, like the Calimar pump. Very happy with mine.

I agree that the thought of spending ~$2k on a name-brand pump to save $200-300 a year on electricity isn't appealing. Especially considering that VS pumps are more susceptible to power surges and generally have more to go wrong compared with single speed pumps. With a $500-600 pump the payout time looks much better. I just hope it lasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis
Thanks for your replies. I knew that pump restrictions were coming but didn't realize it had come to pass. I investigated the VGreen pumps and motors the last time my pump died. It's an option for sure but I'd still prefer something more robust and less likely to have issues caused by electrical glitches. I can't even find a friend or relative who can help me restart cameras and a Wi-Fi thermostat after the recent storm glitches never mind a programable motor! For now a friend is dispensing liquid chlorine for me until I return. At that point I'll work through it. With any luck the motor may come apart, my last one was about 7 years old and the screws were frozen in-place and twisted-off trying to remove them. A new motor is definitely a possibility. Thanks again for all the comments and advice. I'll post an update to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Thanks for your replies. I knew that pump restrictions were coming but didn't realize it had come to pass. I investigated the VGreen pumps and motors the last time my pump died. It's an option for sure but I'd still prefer something more robust and less likely to have issues caused by electrical glitches. I can't even find a friend or relative who can help me restart cameras and a Wi-Fi thermostat after the recent storm glitches never mind a programable motor! For now a friend is dispensing liquid chlorine for me until I return. At that point I'll work through it. With any luck the motor may come apart, my last one was about 7 years old and the screws were frozen in-place and twisted-off trying to remove them. A new motor is definitely a possibility. Thanks again for all the comments and advice. I'll post an update to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.
You may be overthinking the programming. I programmed mine the first day and haven’t touched it in three years. Been through lighting, hail, snow, power outages, etc. It can work exactly like a single speed pump. When power is hooked up, it turns on and when power gets cut off it obviously doesn’t pump. Give it a try. The noise reduction alone made it worthwhile for me and you may even get a bit better filtering at lower speed.

I removed the Pentair 1 HP pump and disassembled things as far as I could. I was barely able to get the pump housing apart due largely to screws bound in their clearance holes due to corrosion. The pump motor is impossible to fully disassemble (no surprise) due to corrosion and binding hardware and eating-away heads of screws. The bottom on the motor housing is almost rusted through. The motor bearing on the pump end was totally shot, probably due more from corrosion than run time and normal wear. To be honest, I'm disgusted that a 3 year old name-brand pump is in such bad shape and so difficult to service.

Replacement motors are pricy and with the cost of replacement seals added to that it would cost more to repair this pump than to buy a generic one. I'm starting to think about simply buying two simple one-speed no-name pumps, installing one and keeping the other as a direct spare. I'm thinking that paying big bucks for a big name pump, maybe with variable speed, isn't worth the risk of an early failure such as I've been experiencing, especially if disassembly may be so difficult. Are the generic pumps worth considering as long as I consider them "disposable"? Is there a more respected brand? Are the motors on the high-end pumps much more durable and corrosion resistant?

Also, I'm wondering if maybe my pumps are corroding and failing early partly because they are exposed to the weather. Perhaps Florida weather is tough on them. Might a simple cover make much difference? I don't have the option of a "pump-house", neighborhood restrictions forbid those.

I removed the Pentair 1 HP pump and disassembled things as far as I could. I was barely able to get the pump housing apart due largely to screws bound in their clearance holes due to corrosion. The pump motor is impossible to fully disassemble (no surprise) due to corrosion and binding hardware and eating-away heads of screws. The bottom on the motor housing is almost rusted through. The motor bearing on the pump end was totally shot, probably due more from corrosion than run time and normal wear. To be honest, I'm disgusted that a 3 year old name-brand pump is in such bad shape and so difficult to service.

Replacement motors are pricy and with the cost of replacement seals added to that it would cost more to repair this pump than to buy a generic one. I'm starting to think about simply buying two simple one-speed no-name pumps, installing one and keeping the other as a direct spare. I'm thinking that paying big bucks for a big name pump, maybe with variable speed, isn't worth the risk of an early failure such as I've been experiencing, especially if disassembly may be so difficult. Are the generic pumps worth considering as long as I consider them "disposable"? Is there a more respected brand? Are the motors on the high-end pumps much more durable and corrosion resistant?

Also, I'm wondering if maybe my pumps are corroding and failing early partly because they are exposed to the weather. Perhaps Florida weather is tough on them. Might a simple cover make much difference? I don't have the option of a "pump-house", neighborhood restrictions forbid those.
Simple cover won’t hurt, you might try and figure out why they are corroding. I literally have mine sitting in the sun and humidity but I run it 24x7 (rather than turning it on/off every day which is harder on motors) and Florida has more humidity but it’s hard to believe it’s that severe of a difference.

I wouldn’t buy a pump to consider it disposable though. I’m might try a different brand before that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are the generic pumps worth considering as long as I consider them "disposable"?

What pump do you have in mind?

Is there a more respected brand?

Not really. They are all the same design and many use the same motors from a few manufactures.

Are the motors on the high-end pumps much more durable and corrosion resistant?

Many pumps use Century Motors made by...

Better pumps can have higher quality Pump Seals - Further Reading

Also, I'm wondering if maybe my pumps are corroding and failing early partly because they are exposed to the weather. Perhaps Florida weather is tough on them.

Not unique to FL weather. An outdoor ocean environment is tough on all types of equipment.

Might a simple cover make much difference? I don't have the option of a "pump-house", neighborhood restrictions forbid those.

Hard to say without seeing tear down of your pump and understanding the root cause of its problems.

A cover cannot hurt as long as you provide airflow for cooling the motor. Folks in the Southwest cover their pool equipment to keep it out of the broiling sun.

You might consider a 2 speed motor replacement. I wanted a v-green but the control panel is too wide to fit my cramped equipment shed.
I love the 2 speed. I wired it with a wall switch to change from high to low. Running it low unless heating, then I just flip it to high for that.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe my pumps are corroding and failing early partly because they are exposed to the weather. Perhaps Florida weather is tough on them.
I know your location (have family just north of you) and exposure to the salt air could have some detrimental effect on your equipment. I have a sun shade over my equipment pad so if something like that is doable, it would help. They make covers for pump motors, just ensure you have sufficient air flow.

I'm starting to think about simply buying two simple one-speed no-name pumps, installing one and keeping the other as a direct spare.
My concern is that you get what you pay for however some motors are universal mfg. across different pump brands, so you may be fine. Best you provide the name and get feedback on what brand you are considering.

Buying 2 pumps now to hold 1 as spare not seem like a good idea, because you lose any warranty and you do not know if you are storing for a year or 5 years. That money is better kept now and consider another option if you need to in 12-24 months or it may last you 8 or more years and you may have different needs at that time.

Reactions: Bperry
Thanks everyone for their comments and guidance.

I started looking at the pump curves for the generic pool pumps and compared them to the Superflo pump. I was amazed how inefficient those pumps were compared to the Superflow. Even the 1-1/2 HP generic pumps can't match the performance of the 1 HP Superflo. After realizing this and thinking about the fact I actually have two sets of Superflo pump parts, I figured that replacing the motor was by far my best and least expensive option, short term and long term.

I bought a Century B2853 1 HP direct replacement motor and PS-200 seal from Positive Poll Wholesale Supply Inc. With shipping and FL tax it cost me $276 and I had the items in 28 hours at no extra cost. Replacement was easy and straight-forward, the motor looks identical in every way to the original Pentair motor. The rebuilt pump works well an I'm in the process of getting the pool clean and rebalanced after two hurricanes and a pump out for weeks.

Thanks Allen for the link to the seal information. I wish I'd read it before ordering the standard PS-200 seal. Evidently the the "heavy duty version" has Viton rubber and maybe a different face material to improve durability. The person at Positive Pool claimed that seals should be replaced every two years on average to avoid leakage and that leakage destroying the front motor bearing. Perhaps I'll try that, it seems easy enough to do.

The one thing I'm not totally comfortable with is that I used Leslie's Pool & Spa Lube for all items including the PS-200 seal. The seal instructions say ""never use PTFE or silicone based products" and recommend their U S SEALUBE, a water based formula. I was desperate to get the pump back in action so I used what I had. I hope this doesn't cause me problems.

I plan to buy another motor and seal to have a a spare, who knows when replacement motors may be outlawed and I'd be in a pickle again.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.