Unsure on TA levels

JCTurner462

May 14, 2019
Ohio
Moved from here.
Tagging on to this thread just due to similar issue and my confusion.
TA is sitting stable at 80 but PH keeps climbing quickly after I reduce with MA.
My confusion comes from TF100 recommended TA levels between 100 - 120 and pool school recommended 50-90.
I'm either on the low end for one or the higher end for the other, and as I understand it either end can cause PH fluctuations.
Not sure which direction I should be pushing TA to help stabilize PH. (or possibly some other factor I'm not thinking about)
Pool is clean and clear, and FC easy to manage.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Take a look at the article linked above. If your pH rises quickly, a lower TA may be of help.

The ranges are just that, ranges. I suggest you follow the TFP recommendations.

You did not say, but I suspect that you are just trying to keep your pH too low.. Knocking the pH down to 7.2 each time is not really the answer... I suggest that you let your pH sit at 7.8 or 7.9 and only add MA once it gets to 8.0... then only reduce the pH to 7.6 or 7.7...

As far as TA goes, as long as it is 50 or above, I would not try to adjust TA at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do believe the card with the TF-100 is a required boilerplate level printout. It's the same list you would get with a k-2006 or any other test kit.

Given that I wouldn't pay much attention to it and follow the guidelines on TFP. TA is the most flexible of the Big 6 and the optimal range will vary based on each pool's circumstances. Chlorination type, fill water TA, pump run time, whether it is regularly covered, and many other variables go in to factoring the best TA for pH stability. And that's where you should aim your TA: for where your pH remains stable it its own appropriate range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.