Unplugging SWG

Minda Martin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
Arkansas
This is the first year I have left my pool open in winter. We have had below freezing temps at night for over a week. I know the SWG does not produce chlorine below 60. My water temp right now is 47. I leave my pump running 24/7 except when I am dipping leaves. I have the SWG at 00. It won't go off unless I turn off the pump. Should I unplug it there where it plugs into the salt cell or just leave it plugged in? The only benefit I am getting from it is being able to check the water temp. (Which I like!) I have a few leaves in the pool but other than that it is super clear and chlorine stays around 3. All chemicals were in range last week when I checked them.

Reactions: markayash
Should I unplug it there where it plugs into the salt cell or just leave it plugged in?

The only threat to your SWCG is if the cell freezes. Don't know where you are in Arkansas, nor the weather conditions there to advise you on whether your cell might freeze. No need to do anything except protect it from freezing.

This may help you...

This too is a good read, applicable to your situation...

The only threat to your SWCG is if the cell freezes. Don't know where you are in Arkansas, nor the weather conditions there to advise you on whether your cell might freeze. No need to do anything except protect it from freezing.

This may help you...

Thank you for the info. That was interesting and I got lost reading old threads that shared some light. It is supposed to start warming up some tomorrow. Thank goodness! So far, so good. I'm considering turning the pump off for a few hours during the day and running it as usual at night.

This may help you...

Thank you so much. Those articles shed some light. Hopefully it will start warming up some tomorrow.

This is the first year I have left my pool open in winter. We have had below freezing temps at night for over a week. I know the SWG does not produce chlorine below 60. My water temp right now is 47. I leave my pump running 24/7 except when I am dipping leaves. I have the SWG at 00. It won't go off unless I turn off the pump. Should I unplug it there where it plugs into the salt cell or just leave it plugged in? The only benefit I am getting from it is being able to check the water temp. (Which I like!) I have a few leaves in the pool but other than that it is super clear and chlorine stays around 3. All chemicals were in range last week when I checked them.
I use a dummy cell even though we almost never get cold enough to freeze that deeply. IMO it protect the cell from abrasion when it's disconnected and inert. IMO there are particles that get in the water stream no matter how good of a filter you have and act like fine sandpaper. 4 hr's a day x 24 gallons a minute... you get the idea.

Reactions: markayash
I use a dummy cell even though we almost never get cold enough to freeze that deeply. IMO it protect the cell from abrasion when it's disconnected and inert. IMO there are particles that get in the water stream no matter how good of a filter you have and act like fine sandpaper. 4 hr's a day x 24 gallons a minute... you get the idea.
I have a dummy cell for that exact reason also. And Incase we get “ texased” and it freezes and we lose power with little warning :)

Reactions: Chuckiechan
IMO it protects the cell from abrasion when it's disconnected and inert. IMO there are particles that get in the water stream no matter how good of a filter you have and act like fine sandpaper. 4 hr's a day x 24 gallons a minute... you get the idea.
Not to mention the calcium from our hard water. I am going to order a dummy cell tomorrow, and shut down the SWG after it arrives. Due to the colder water temps it will shut down soon anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.