Headbanger783

Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So my union nut is leaking at the pump, where it leaves the pump and goes to the filter. I have a VS pump and it only leaks if I have the pump at 3450rpm like when vacuuming. Normal use when the rpm’s are lower it doesn’t leak.

Ive had the builder out once and they gently tightened it more than hand tighten and it stopped for a while. But instead of waiting on them again I was wondering if wrapping the connection in plumbing tape would work? Or so I need a new union nut….the build was just done in early spring.

Attachments

• 74C6D5F2-9799-4490-B609-BAB5046C9922.jpeg
    74C6D5F2-9799-4490-B609-BAB5046C9922.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 46
Pump union nuts should not need Teflon ape or sealant on the threads. The union gets screwed down and an O-ring should do the sealing for you - should. :) If no one ever backed it off completely and inspected the actual O-ring, it may be time to ensure the mating surfaces are clean, smooth, and that the O-ring didn't get pinched or something.

Reactions: Darin
Ok. They did take it apart before the reattached and tightened it down. And it didn’t leak for a while. I may just leave it for now since it doesn’t leak under normal operation and I use a robot to vacuum most of the time anyway

Mine leaked slightly at 3450...i put a piece of protective cardboard and then snugged up a large hose clamp around the union nut and tapped the screw on the clamp ever so slightly...it moved maybe a 1/4 of an inch. Hasn't leaked since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Headbanger783
I know it looks like it in the picture (it’s a still from a video) from the water reflection but it’s not cracked. The water comes up from the top not the sides.

Reactions: Poolbreh
So my union nut is leaking at the pump, where it leaves the pump and goes to the filter. I have a VS pump and it only leaks if I have the pump at 3450rpm like when vacuuming. Normal use when the rpm’s are lower it doesn’t leak.

Ive had the builder out once and they gently tightened it more than hand tighten and it stopped for a while. But instead of waiting on them again I was wondering if wrapping the connection in plumbing tape would work? Or so I need a new union nut….the build was just done in early spring.
In the picture the nut appears cracked it will never hold under pressure of full rpm. The white residue also seem to indicate that. If they are going to leak, it is always at the top. Might try what willygee said, a large pipe clamp around the outside to hold it together and give it a "slight" turn.

Has it always leaked under high pressure?

Having that tape on their looks really bad and you should NOT NEED to do so w such a new install, no way.

Here is what I would do.
  • Carefully inspected the entire union/joint for any burrs, pits or cracks.
  • If you find nothing, put some silicone on the O-Ring(s), then tighten.
Finally, your PB needs to fix this, not letting it dictate how you clean your pool or what RPM's not to run.

Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where should I find it…like a Home Depot
You certainly can try. Or you might just order online via Amazon or the various pool shops online. I believe there is also a company online that specializes in just O-ring.

I don't think anybody said this but put some high vacuum grease or pool lube grease on the new o-ring; I've also used Super Lube grease. They help seal the o-ring and keeps the O-ring supple. I used pool lube grease on my AG pool and other than my pool chlorinator oring they was still great. BUT don't use any old grease like lithium or other types not made for things like a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.