Unidentified Line - Trouble shoot

Inception85

In The Industry
May 28, 2021
Dallas, TX
I picked up a new customer. The main drain cover is off, leaves inside. Owner told me the last pool person recently installed a new pump. Currently it is only pulling from the skimmer line, not the main drain. I tried to pull from main line by opening the jandy valve to no success. The pump they installed is a 1 HP pump, this pool is about 40k gallans and told the owner they need a 2 hp min. I have sold them on completly updated the system. new filter, new pump and re due the plumbing. Currenlty its plumbed into 2 - 1 1/2'' lines but noticed there is a 2'' line besides that is not plumbed. Originally I thought the 1hp pump simply couldent pull from the main. Could this 2'' line be the main? is there any way for me to check where this line leades? I was thinking of plumbing the 1hp pump to it just to see? I have already purchased a new filter and pump, rdy to install next week but im concerned about whats going on. any advise is greatly appreciated. ( in the picture the jandy valve is open. when operating the jandy valve is closed to one line only pulling from the skimmer)

Attachments

• 20220222_152559.jpg
    20220222_152559.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220222_152606.jpg
    20220222_152606.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 21
You have an air blower like a Cyclone used to winterize pools?

Blow air into the open pipe and see see if the main drain bubbles.

You can open up the pump lid and put the air hose into the suction line. Use the diverter valve to isolate each line and blow air into it and see if the main drain bubbles.

The Cyclone may also clear any debris that got into the main drain line.

Have you looked at the skimmer to see if the main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer?

You have an air blower like a Cyclone used to winterize pools?

Blow air into the open pipe and see see if the main drain bubbles.

You can open up the pump lid and put the air hose into the suction line. Use the diverter valve to isolate each line and blow air into it and see if the main drain bubbles.

The Cyclone may also clear any debris that got into the main drain line.

Have you looked at the skimmer to see if the main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer?
This is a good idea, thank you! I need to check the skimmer to see if it is plumbed there. (brain fart for not looking while out) but I dont think it is or we would see suction from main. I am in Texas so we never winterize pools here. I am wondering what would be the cheapest cyclone I could purchase or if any compressor would work? and would I need to fit it with a pvc fitting to properly connect and blow air that far?

This is a good idea, thank you! I need to check the skimmer to see if it is plumbed there. (brain fart for not looking while out) but I dont think it is or we would see suction from main. I am in Texas so we never winterize pools here. I am wondering what would be the cheapest cyclone I could purchase or if any compressor would work? and would I need to fit it with a pvc fitting to properly connect and blow air that far?
or maybe a ballon connected to a hose might be a cheaper solution? sorry you got my brain going lol.

I,

Why do you think it is important to pull from the main drain? There are thousands of pools with no operating main drain, and they all work just fine. Not saying you should not get it running, if you want, but the main drain not working will not cause any noticeable difference in the way the pool works.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I,

Why do you think it is important to pull from the main drain? There are thousands of pools with no operating main drain, and they all work just fine. Not saying you should not get it running, if you want, but the main drain not working will not cause any noticeable difference in the way the pool works.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I politely disagree. it creates added circulation at the bottom improving sanitation. It also allows for debris and Crud to be swept into the main to easier clean the pool. this is a vary large pool probably 45k gallans and feel you need that circulation on a 9ft pool down there?

Read about some of the things used for winterizing.

A Cyclone is best, a ShopVac may give you enough pressure, or an air compressor.
im going to try to connect a hose to a balloon and see if that kicks any leaves out before purchasing a cyclone. I have a shop vac and will try to connect a pvc fitting if that doesn't work. Great advise, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.