Under pool pad and pool sides coating

RKDrake

May 10, 2021
Tulsa, OK
I am installing a semi bury AG pool and wondering if it is necessary to put a gorilla pad or similar type pad under our pool? we will have leveled dirt with a thin layer of sand. Do I need an additional pad as well? If so what is the best kind? After reading some reviews the gorilla pad seems to be an overpriced felt material? I know some have done the foam underlayment...thoughts? Just curious of everyones opinion. Next question, for a semi bury do you put anything between the pool and the slurry mix backfill on the sides? I feel something would be necessary just for extra protection. What do you recommend? Thanks!

I am installing a semi bury AG pool and wondering if it is necessary to put a gorilla pad or similar type pad under our pool? we will have leveled dirt with a thin layer of sand. Do I need an additional pad as well? If so what is the best kind? After reading some reviews the gorilla pad seems to be an overpriced felt material? I know some have done the foam underlayment...thoughts? Just curious of everyones opinion. Next question, for a semi bury do you put anything between the pool and the slurry mix backfill on the sides? I feel something would be necessary just for extra protection. What do you recommend? Thanks!
Hi, we had an agp for almost 20 years, prior to the new goodies on the market now, and just replaced with new agp last summer. I can tell you from exp that I will never install another pool without the pad underneath and the foam wall and coves! We didn’t buy Gorilla we bought one from Amazon that had great reviews and I’m glad we decided to try it. We have yet to decide if we will backfill with native dirt as we had previously, slurry mix (per warranty), or do retaining wall, but I have done a lot of research on the wall coating and most says not to put any kind of barrier that will retain or trap moisture between it and the walls. I saw where people painted the walls with rubber seal coatings, I can’t imagine that would be a bad thing so long as the chemical make up wouldn’t harm the pool wall! Also, if you haven’t already, check into drainage bc the last thing you want is to get it all buried nicely only to have water sit in the hole and float your liner or shift things under your pool 😐

Hi, we had an agp for almost 20 years, prior to the new goodies on the market now, and just replaced with new agp last summer. I can tell you from exp that I will never install another pool without the pad underneath and the foam wall and coves! We didn’t buy Gorilla we bought one from Amazon that had great reviews and I’m glad we decided to try it. We have yet to decide if we will backfill with native dirt as we had previously, slurry mix (per warranty), or do retaining wall, but I have done a lot of research on the wall coating and most says not to put any kind of barrier that will retain or trap moisture between it and the walls. I saw where people painted the walls with rubber seal coatings, I can’t imagine that would be a bad thing so long as the chemical make up wouldn’t harm the pool wall! Also, if you haven’t already, check into drainage bc the last thing you want is to get it all buried nicely only to have water sit in the hole and float your liner or shift things under your pool 😐
Very helpful info thank you! When you say pad underneath are you referring to pad similar to gorilla? The felt type material? Just curious if that felt is sufficient or if I need thicker?

I put a new liner in our pool last month. I used the felt-type pad under this liner, I did not under the first liner and I wish that I had. I also took the time to spray the bottom 6" of the wall with galvanizing paint before the pad and liner were installed.

Reactions: RKDrake
I forgot to add the pad was a GLI Armor Shield floor pad 😊

Very helpful info thank you! When you say pad underneath are you referring to pad similar to gorilla? The felt type material? Just curious if that felt is sufficient or if I need thicker?
I posted the name of the pad on the wrong reply sorry 😁 we used the GLI Armor Shield floor pad. It is a very thick felt like material that is pre-cut to the shape and size of pool. We have the sand base as well (although this time around we purposely did not put near as much under as previous pool) and every time we get in I am glad that we went with the pad, I can tell a huge difference in the way the bottom feels and the smoothness of the liner laying! We have very rocky clay soil and no matter what we did to clear them, those things seem to grow out of nowhere. The liner pad has definitely helped with that issue, if I feel a rock I can take my toe and work it back into the sand/soil so it’s not sticking up and I don’t worry that it will protrude through/ rub hole bc the pad protects that!
I’d love to see photos if you backfill with the slurry mix, and what you do to landscape around the pool afterward!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.