Gold Supporter
Apr 11, 2021
Mooresville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just started a pool build a couple weeks ago. 54” flat bottom steel wall liner pool. The SW corner of the pool kept puddling, so we dug deeper and back filled with gravel. I also put in a well pit (or whatever), but once the pipe was in, it didn’t fill with water as I expected.
I pulled the pipe today to dig deeper and you can see where the water is entering and exiting the hole!! There are also “soft” spot in the gravel bottom of the pool.

1.) What’s the proper way to put this sump well in? I used a 14” pipe, then dropped a few inches of gravel in it. Anything else? I shouldn’t drill holes in the pipe, right?

2.) As we’re compacting, mud is coming up very slowly. Is this normal? There are a few spots that almost feel like a water bed.

I’ve invested a lot of money so far and hope I can find a solution. No one in my state is available to look at this, so I’m on my own.

Thanks,

Drew2590924B-2D3A-4378-B5BD-B464277A337C.jpegFCF5D521-D2AE-4260-A807-AA09D7DAE335.jpeg200B8346-96BC-441B-A708-4E8029FDB3D6.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Apsuhead
You have to dig a larger hole like 24-30" amd line the hole with filter fabric. I use 12' wide stuff from the septic supply house. Go deeper than the pool floor by a foot or more. Then put pipe in after drilling 100s of 1/4" holes. Then fill outside and a few inches inside with clean gravel. Wrap it up tight on top and zip tie with huge ties I use A/C duct ties.
As for the soft spots you have clay. It becomes plastic when compacted. You have to remove some of that amd replace with clean gravel. That is the only thing that will tighten it up. If the whole soil profile is like that geotextile fabric would have been ideal under the gravel. I have it under my whole pool and I've done a few heavy clay bottoms with it as well

Reactions: DrewStanley
@jimmythegreek I'm with you on the pipe, but what do mean by wrap it up tight on top?

So, what should I do about the soft spots? It's definitely a lot of clay! I was about to dig down through the gravel and clay to see what's under there (thought it may be water?), then fill the hole with gravel an compact. It's 3 different spots a little larger than a basketball.

Bring the fabric back over the gravel amd zip tie to the pipe below grade a few inches. You need to protect the spaces in between the stone voids, that's your weeping area. Those voids attract water, without fabric you will end up with dirt amd some gravel mixed in and have little/no drainage.
What stone are you using it is 3/4 clean or DGA? You dont want to plate compact clay, you just make it worst. Turns to plasticizer material

Edit: I see your pics now. Get the sump pit in asap to start drying that out. As long as the soft spots aren't under the wall panels dont sweat it. You need to be careful with weather. Rain is gonna make this ground horrible I deal with this same stuff at times. I see a mini in the background you dug the pool with it? I see the ramp. How many days did that take?

Last edited:
Bring the fabric back over the gravel amd zip tie to the pipe below grade a few inches. You need to protect the spaces in between the stone voids, that's your weeping area. Those voids attract water, without fabric you will end up with dirt amd some gravel mixed in and have little/no drainage.
What stone are you using it is 3/4 clean or DGA? You dont want to plate compact clay, you just make it worst. Turns to plasticizer material.
Got it on the pipe. I’ll do that next and give it a day or two to see how it helps.
I haven’t compacted the clay, other than when there were 8k lb machines in there. I’m using washed #8 stone. I figured what I had left over, I could use as backfill behind the pool walls.

#8s are fine to use. Track machines weigh nothing to dirt, couple pounds per square inch. I saw the compactor in the hole which is fine if its dry clay. With what you got you will just pump muddy water to surface it's like when you work concrete and the cream comes up over the aggregate, same thing here

#8s are fine to use. Track machines weigh nothing to dirt, couple pounds per square inch. I saw the compactor in the hole which is fine if its dry clay. With what you got you will just pump muddy water to surface it's like when you work concrete and the cream comes up over the aggregate, same thing here
Yeah, that’s what it reminded me of. I already dropped the pump in. I’ll get the pipe/gravel/fabric set up, let it sit and dry out for a few days, then dig up the soft spots, fill with gravel compacting as I go.

You’re a life savor man!! I’ve been pretty stressed all day about it! If it IS an underground spring am I in trouble or does this process still work?

Yup that's the idea. You dont have to compact anything with clean stone. One or two bumps with a hand tamper amd your all set. Focus on having a level bench for setting panels on. You can do the whole pool them remove am 8' panel, run the mini right in the pool amd shape the floor up. If you have a skidsteer on site bring it to the edge amd fill the bucket as you shape the bottom then get rid of the spoils, amd keep repeating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bottom is already dug. Has a 1’2” drop by 1’6” width cove. It’s pretty messy now, not dug well. I’m far out from that, but that’s what keeping my up at night now. Hoping I can do it with gravel, then vermiculite over it.

Yeah you cam shape the bottom with gravel. The problem is the coves wont really hold shape. You have to add dry mixed concrete to get shape on hopper walls. It's a sprint tho not a marathon. Gotta shape them amd get liner in asap. Rain will wreak havoc on clay. We watch weather amd hustle for pool floors with liner in hand on clay soil

I planned on doing at least 2” of pool base/ vermiculite over the whole bottom too. The concrete is a great idea to hold shape until I can get to the vermiculite. Doing this weekend and weekdays only, so I can’t move as fast as I’d like. :/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.