under contract for home that has a pool, and I have questions

We take ownership in a couple of weeks! Woohoo! I've just started following advice from this thread, and have begun dumping half a bottle of bleach daily (starter Wednesday).

The water is clear - I can see the bottom without difficulty. The problem is that an algae outbreak has taken hold on the surfaces of the pool and hot tub (maybe 25-30% of the surfaces). I can't get it to scrub off completely - I think the surfaces are now stained. I scrub with the pool brush and I just can't get it off.

(I haven't purchased a test kit yet as we've been waiting on the closing.)

Also, I pulled the cartridge filter for inspection. I bet it's three years old! It's disgusting. I'll be replacing it in short order.

Any thoughts?

You might be able to clean them. Do a search for cleaning cartridge filters using a trash can. If nothing else they can be your back up filters.

You need to get a test kit as soon as you can. I SO understand the money thing right now. Look at your Walmart and see if they have the hth 6 way test kit. Show us the picture before you buy it. That is the baby of the test kits an does not have the good FC test but it will get your started until you can get the "grown up" test kit.

Kim:cat:

My advice is to order the TF-100 with the XL option TODAY, it will ship from NC on Monday and should be in your hands by Wed, or Thurs. You can then see what you are working with as to the pool water and we can help plan a course to get you swimming as soon as possible. If that algae does get out of control it will be a BIG headache to clear up with that undersized cartridge filter.

I just ordered the TF-100 with the XL option just now.

We close on the house tomorrow.

I have been continuing the half bottle of bleach a day for some time now, and the water looks visibly better as a result (I think, lol). It looks fresh and clear.

And now we get to move. Lots and lots of work ahead over the next few weeks.

And by the way, thanks to everyone who has been helping in this thread. It's appreciated!

Lots going on in your life! Congrats on the test kit! THAT will help you clear the pool even faster! Good job on adding the bleach and starting on the way to a clear pool.

LOTS of work ahead. Are you going to try to move into the new place all at once? Or take some time to clean and paint and move a few boxes at a time?

Kim:cat: (The only way I am moving again is when I leave in a pine box!)

We're going to move slowly, over the course of about three weeks. We have the lease on our current home through August, so why not?

Going to paint first. About half of the exterior and all bedrooms are getting new coats (and colors).

In short order I'll start figuring out what I want to do in terms of the heater situation.

What's the deal with that conduit going into the pump? It doesn't look secured properly, and possibly burnt.

We just moved into our house this past fall, and I just opened our new to us pool. The previous owner had bought a new pump 2 years ago, and the 120v outlet it was plugged into out at the pad was burnt up. I pulled the outlet out and found they had a 15amp outlet on the 20amp circuit. My pump is rated for 16amps max on 120volt, so that would explain the burnt older pump and electrical outlet. Turns out the previous owner's son in law wired the pad.

Long story short, who installed that pump? Did they know what they were doing?

The electrical connector was replaced. You can see part of the old connector on the ground. The part that looks loose is the old nut that was left on the conduit. It should have been discarded, but it won't hurt anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the state of the pool today (minus chemistry numbers, of course).

20160525_133109_zpshk5x8qpx.jpg

As you can see, there is a small band of light green algae around the bottom of the hot tub. It's also in other areas of the pool, always near the bottom.

I've been bleaching regularly (as advised).

I've tried to brush it off but it doesn't go away (only a small amount dissipates in the water).

Thoughts?

Here ya go! I give this to all new pool owners-

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Until your test kit gets there keep up with the daily bleach. We will work on that green ring once we have solid test results.

NOW go paint! LOL

Okay, so the kit is in and the first test results are too.

(Not totally confident that administered the tests correctly, but I think I did.)

FC = 37ppm
CC = 1ppm
Calcium hardness = 425ppm
TA = 90
CYA = 70

I'll check back here to listen to advice, but now I'll take my results and review pool school.

Let me guess why you did not test the PH. You have been reading and know that PH does not test good when the FC is over 10.

Any idea why your FC is so high? What have you been up to?

Okay now some housekeeping please. Please fill in your signature (settings-upper right, edit signature middle left) put in what you know about your pool-size, kind, equipment-size and kind, make sure to include your new test kit. THANKS!

Not sure why the FC is so high. I was adding half a gallon of bleach to the pool while we were waiting to close, and probably did that for two weeks.

I know that the previous owners made some last minute effort at pool maintenance, but I'm not sure what they did. Our realtor expressed our frustration with the condition of the landscaping and pool (the previous algae bloom) and so it's likely that they did "something." What that something was is an unknown.

I will fill in the signature over the weekend. I need to make an estimate as to water volume (I know there's a calculator on the site).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.