Under construction in Tampabay Florida

Honestly my #1 factor is the durability a close 2nd is the feel. My PB has already charged me for the upgrade and he told me the cost is the same between the two finishes.
Is it out of line to ask your PB for clients that would let me swing by and see their pools?

Is it out of line to ask your PB for clients that would let me swing by and see their pools?
Nope. But ask for references and call the people first. (If he does). Feel those people out for who might not mind you coming over. My PB asked me at the first meeting if they could use me as a reference if I went with them. I jumped on it because I figured it would get me some extra care of he knew I’d be talking to other potential clients down the road. Not only do happy pool owners LOVE talking about them, most will be happy to show it off too. I wasn’t offered anything for my time so it would have been a completely honest review. They did give my name out, but nobody ever called.

I’m not sure how Covid will play with that though. It’s outside so you can do it safely, but people will still probably be less likely now to have strangers over. Even so, it can’t hurt to ask.

I just had my Travertine coping installed and for the first time I notice a big height discrepancy from the coping to existing patio level. Im hoping somebody could help me understand what they will do to level this out. The patio is getting an outdoor kitchen installed so the paver surface needs to be level to a degree enough to build the kitchen anyway. I stacked a few pavers to show the difference in height from coping to patio door. The existing patio is level. Also the linear drain will run between the coping and the column down the length of the pool.

Attachments

• IMG-2701.jpg
    IMG-2701.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-2702.jpg
    IMG-2702.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG-2703.jpg
    IMG-2703.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG-2704.jpg
    IMG-2704.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-2705.jpg
    IMG-2705.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 90
It's not supposed to be perfectly level b/c you want the water to drain away from the pool towards the deck drains. I believe the slope is supposed to be between 2% and 4%. I'm not exactly sure where you measure from...I would think from the edge of the pool...is the coping perfectly level or does that slope away from the pool a little?

Reactions: RDFBocephus
It's not supposed to be perfectly level b/c you want the water to drain away from the pool towards the deck drains. I believe the slope is supposed to be between 2% and 4%. I'm not exactly sure where you measure from...I would think from the edge of the pool...is the coping perfectly level or does that slope away from the pool a little?
The coping is pretty level. The drain will be installed right in front of the columns about 3 ft from the waters edge.

That is exactly how I am planning my coping and deck... I will have the coping 6 inches above the deck... It does a couple things..

1. it will not allow water runoff to get into the pool, the water would have to raise 6 inches to get into the pool.. ( in your case it looks between 4 to 5 inches )

2. it allows the coping to be completely separated from the deck, and the deck to have a seam for expansion, that way the deck will not interfere with the pool and try to move it when it expands... and trust me, the deck will expand and contract during the seasons...

I may plan on using tile on the outside of the pool to cover between the deck and the coping, might try something else, who knows :)

Reactions: TampaKathy
LOL, I wrote that as the temp outside my door hit 22 degrees this morning :) I did not think to look at your location before I said those things, sorry about that.... :goodjob:

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well after talking with the Paver guys today and starting the install we discovered it wont be a problem after all. My patio floor had a slope built into it which caused it to look much worse. There was about 3" difference over the full 15 ft. The travertine is literally 1" above the bottom of the sliding doors

Are you installing travertine over the existing deck?
Yes they put a thin layer of sand down to set the stone and it worked out nice. Here is a before and after. They did a nice job of sloping it towards the drain and you cant even tell it was that far off in the before pics

Attachments

• image_50419201.JPG
    image_50419201.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image_50419457.JPG
    image_50419457.JPG
    603.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image_50423041.JPG
    image_50423041.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image_50406401.JPG
    image_50406401.JPG
    617.4 KB · Views: 105
I see your deck is now level with your sliding glass door. Are you not worried about water being able to come into the house?

I see your deck is now level with your sliding glass door. Are you not worried about water being able to come into the house?
Actually it looks that way but the inside of the house steps up a couple inches. Also there is a 3-4" space between the last paver and the door. We are renovating the outside and putting in all new sliders once the permits come back. So I had to leave space.

Reactions: Nikilyn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.