Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello from SoCal Inland Empire. Looking to get an in ground 15'X30' rectangle 3.5'-7' deep with a 6'X10' 6 jet spa with adjacent baja shelf built. Builder is Jandy authorized and will install cartridge filter, JXI 400k BTU heater (gas meter upgrade will be needed), IQ 904, TruClear salt system, 2.7 variable pump & MX6 cleaner, four total LED lights. There will be a total of 2000+ sqft of concrete, Belle Crete coping, tile for pool & spa walls 18" high out of pool. We were going to place the pool equipment on the side of the house, but I would like it in back corner of the yard because I don't want to hear it inside of the house. Cost is approaching 60k.

We tried to think of everything, but I know we haven't. Please chime in with questions and advise. We can't wait to get this going.

Rough Pool.jpgRough Pool2.jpgRough Pool3.jpg

Last edited:
Some people do not like raised spas positioned between the house and pool, because it creates a blind spot from the patio/inside the house if you are trying to watch kids, etc.

Other than that, looks good to me.

Reactions: Timujin
Dig date set for 1/11/2020! HOA approved plans and permits were pulled. The design has changed. Spa with spill over will be raised 18" located in the back and baja bench will be in front. @JJ_Tex mentioned what we were kicking around with the raised spa creating a blind spot. Thanks. The pool equipment will be in a corner of the yard surrounded by a short block wall.

I marked the ground to weigh options three weeks ago. Then I sat on the ground in different areas of the pool and spa to look around at the view. Builder and I will finalize things before the dig.

Happy New Year everyone.

IMG_0750.jpgpool11.jpg

They're hee-arrr! Congrats!!

Is that a vinyl gate? I hate mine. It expands and contracts so much in the sun that it seems there's only a few minutes a day that it closes and latches easily. I mention that because in CA (or maybe it's county-wide?), a gate to a pool must open out (away from the pool), close on its own (spring or whatever), and latch on its own. And be no higher than 2" off the ground. There are likely some other requirements, too. Check with local and state building codes before you rebuild that fence and gate. I'm thinking about ditching my vinyl fence for a good ol' fashioned wooden one, so I can close it easily, and also bring it up to code, pool-wise... Maybe with your block fence you won't have the expansion issue, but the other requirements still stand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s it folks.... Kim saw the mud. It’s like Puxatawnee Phill but with Kim..... and mud. The internet is closing for the day, nothing left to see. We can all go home now.

• Haha
Reactions: Timujin and kimkats
Probably too late, but I'd rather hide the equipment around the side of the house. Ours is right next to the master bedroom, although the main pump is closer to the master bath water closet. We run the pump at 1600 rpm from midnight to 11am (cheaper electricity) and you cannot hear it at all inside the house in the bedroom or even in the water closet. The A/C unit is louder, although we don't hear that inside either. OTOH, the Kohler standby generator, when it runs its weekly exercise for 20 minutes, we can really hear well! It's next to the master bath.

Probably too late, but I'd rather hide the equipment around the side of the house. Ours is right next to the master bedroom, although the main pump is closer to the master bath water closet. We run the pump at 1600 rpm from midnight to 11am (cheaper electricity) and you cannot hear it at all inside the house in the bedroom or even in the water closet. The A/C unit is louder, although we don't hear that inside either. OTOH, the Kohler standby generator, when it runs its weekly exercise for 20 minutes, we can really hear well! It's next to the master bath.

Thank you for the suggestion. We were going to place it next to the house, but decided to keep any sounds away from my house and my neighbors house. The pump and heater would be adjacent to my neighbors patio. New pumps and heaters are quiet, but if it ever decided to become noisy I would want it away from the house.

Tell us more about the Kohler!

Okay so here is your first job with the pool build. When they say they are done get a tape measure and the plans. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the time to tweak or fix.

Kim:kim:

Here's my standard spiel... When they're trenching, have them lay in some extra conduit, water and/or drip lines. I wish I had more hose bibs around my pool, and lots of electrical outlets. I would have ran wire for speakers and ethernet (which can handle not only computer networks, but video and security gear, etc). Gas line for a BBQ or fire pit or area heater? One or two runs of door bell wire (6- or 8-conductor, which can handle doorbells, some pool remote controls, temperature senders, etc). Plus a few runs of large, empty conduit though which I could pull whatever I didn't think to plan for. Now's the time. Thank me later. Soooo cheap to do this now, but once the deck goes down, it can be near impossible (or crazy expensive) to run lines for these various utilities.

If you think you need two of something, run four. Four of something? Run six or eight.

More on trenching. Take lots of pics after they lay down the plumbing. Lots! Be sure to get references in the background so you can figure out where the pipes are relative to something else. Roll out a tape measure if you have to. If you ever have to get into the dirt, or find a leak, you'll be glad you know where everything is buried. When I altered my pool's plumbing, I found some of what I was after easily enough. But couldn't find others. One pipe in particular: I dug for hours (on hands and knees with a small pick, 'cause you can't use power tools to locate PVC) and never did find it. For all I know, I gave up 2" short of where it was, or maybe it was nowhere near...

**All of that above** +1 pick starting points with the tape measure that are permanent. The deck post may not be there 15 years from now, or the tree either. If you really want to zero in on a location, measure the distance from 2 permanant objects to form a triangle. We are now blessed with high res cameras in our pockets and google/apple will store your pics forever.

Well, I've been there with the torn down gate, all right. (Scary thing is they had it down before I cold get my shoes on and get out there! The metal gate they put in to replace it is probably harder to get down than the block fence was!). You seem lucky in that they could bring in larger machinery than they did with my pool.

Sounds like fun. Unlike me, when it is done it will be at the BEGINNING of the season, not the end! :) Pool gates opening out, having a spring, etc. are national code, by the way. As for taking pictures to have an idea where the pipes are, etc. yes. That is a good idea. But make sure they also run tracer wires on the pipes that come out of the shell of the pool (anything that runs outside the shell if you are like me with a paver deck or the deck if you are using concrete.. the rebar blocks the signal so anything in the pool or under a concrete deck is moot).

I agree with dirk about the electrical (not as much the plumbing hose bib runs in my case because I have it close to the pool just out of dumb luck anyway) runs, but if your PB was like mine it was MUCH more expensive to have them do all of that than renting a trencher for a day, even leaving it all empty.. but yes, you will miss having wiring for lighting around the pool and receptacles. That's going to be my torture this spring is running some of that...

Did your permits require any reinforcement of the retaining wall at the back of your lot? I assume it is okay, but I would verify that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.