Umbrella sleeve froze and broke in concrete pool deck (pics attached)

kevinmsm

May 21, 2019
USA
Hi All - like the title says, we have 2 umbrella sleeves in the concrete pool deck. This was the 4th winter and both of them somehow got water in them, froze and the top part of the sleeve popped up and was laying beside the pool.

Not sure how they were installed - which means I'm not sure how water got in there (we have the threaded caps on during winter). I THOUGHT the concrete formed a seal on the top, but I guess not....

Both of them look like they came in 2 pieces? Where they separated, it is 'clean' (and at the same spot)

Questions:
1. How would you repair this? I'm sure I can use a PVC glue to hold the top back in place with the base that is still embedded in the concrete, but what about sealing it so this doesn't happen again
2. Has anyone had luck with a caulk that doesn't look terrible when combined with concrete? I was thinking that if I PVC glue it back together, I would caulk around the edges?

Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

• UC1.jpg
    UC1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 48
  • UC2.jpg
    UC2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 49
  • UC3.jpg
    UC3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 52
That is the color match umbrella sleeve if I am not mistaken. If it is, don’t worry. It is made to come apart like that in case you want to change the color of the cap and top sleeve to match your plaster or tile. The actual holder has a shoulder up to the plaster or tile and is cast in one peice, so it is water tight. What came out is the cosmetic part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.