UltraTemp 140 High Refrig Error

Patrickforney

May 10, 2020
Charleston SC
Hello All,

I have a new Pentair UltraTemp 140 that I installed in February. Turned it on for the first time in March when we had a warm spell and it ran without any issues for a week. Turn the temp down to 72 since the weather cooled off just to not waste the electricity when no one was swimmming. When we turned it back up, the "High Refrig Error" displays after about 3 minutes of running. Did all of the troubleshooting, clean filter again, double check the strainers, etc...nothing is blocking the flow, no help. Had an HVAC guy come and check the pressures and everything seemed to be working as it should, the High Refrig Error displays when the pressure rises to the limit. He blamed the flow rate. Purchased and installed a new 2HP pump (originally it was a 1.5). Same error. Randomly turned the heat pump on a week ago when it was warm outside and everything worked great for a week. Pool heated, again the weather cooled so I set the temp to 82. It takes three days for the pool to cool to 82 to make the heater turn back on and now the High Refrig Error is back. Nothing has changed, except the temp outside is somewhat cooler, today is 70. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this. I do have a few 90 degree fittings in my plumbing, just was done that way to get the heater in without moving the original plumbing, but If that is causing the issue it doesn't make since why it work some days and not others. Anyone have any issues with a heat pump pressure when it is cold outside or have the bypass valve inside the heat pump getting stuck open?

Attachments

• IMG-7561.JPG
    IMG-7561.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-7562.JPG
    IMG-7562.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-7563.JPG
    IMG-7563.JPG
    616.3 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to TFP.

Hi refrig error is usually a low flow problem.

I don’t see a valve to stop water flow through your crossover pipe that I highlited in yellow. It should only be open when the heater is bypassed.

There is a lot I cannot see and understand about your plumbing. Where does the green segment go? Provide clearer pictures of all your pipe segments and the overflow.

9427A9FE-F21D-4069-91B1-A54F7FB84EAC.jpeg

Please see attached photos. It is difficult to get everything in one shot. The crossover valve is hidden by the chlorinator, but it is there and closed. Yellow in your picture is the by pass section, green is feeding the heater. The bypass valve I mentioned in my first post is internal in the heat pump. I believe it is more of a check valve incase there is too much flow in the heat pump, Pentair part # R172305.

Attachments

• pool flow 1 with arrows.jpg
    pool flow 1 with arrows.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 12
  • pool flow 2 with arrows.jpg
    pool flow 2 with arrows.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi Patrick. We have the same Pentiar Heat Pump and it worked great for about 5 seasons, then developed the exact issue you are describing. I went through all the troubleshooting, low flow, stuff but no luck. Every once in awhile it would start working for a day and then get the hi-refig error again. We even had an HVAC company come out and do some pressure readings, but did not help. They suggested maybe replacing a trx valve (I think) but it was over $800 for them to manage the refrigerant while replacing. We are now just looking to replace. Yours sounds much newer so maybe there is hope.

Very helpful thread. I’m a new pool owner and still trying to figure my way around the equipment. I couldn’t figure out why I was getting the High Refrig error on my new UltraTemp 120Q. I thought I had bought a dud. Turns out the installer didn’t configure the detent pins on the three-way valve to allow the bypass to be completely closed. After reading this thread and seeing a picture of a dismantled valve, I wad able to quickly solve my issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.