Ugh - opened pandora's box...stained liner?

Mar 21, 2017
West Monroe, LA
If you check my posts - I had a post about a week ago and found out I was using the Clorox Xtrablue Chlorine pucks and I immediately quit using them.

So as part of the thread I had going on about too my CYA in my water - I have emptied 1/2 the pool water at the request of the forum to straighten out my chemicals.

So as things have progressed - I feel like I've opened up Pandora's box here - I think the pucks may have stained the pool. The is a orange tint around the steps and the liner. It is not slick like organic. We used a magic eraser in a couple of spots and it started coming up. You can see streaks in the pool where some chemical has gotten it off the liner in spots.

Is this fixable? Or should I just get a new liner? *sigh* One thing of note - previous owner of home told us the liner has been laser measured for replacements - so maybe that helps??

https://goo.gl/photos/8cBjBg1PgZdEDSdy7

https://goo.gl/photos/z2mBqe4mPtES7HkW6

Ok Vex, lets work this out- Grab some cheap-o chewable Vitamin C tablets and stuff'em in a sock. Bang it up a bit with a shoe or a hammer to break some up. Rub that sock on the steps of your pool in a spot and see if that lifts the stain. Let it sit on the stain about 5 minutes.

Alternatively, go buy *one* single chlorine puck from the pool store (most sell singles, just no XtraBlue stuff please!) and let that sit on another spot on your steps. Does that do anything to the stain?

What we're trying to deduce here, my dear Mr/Ms Watson, is whether the stain is organic or metals.

Yippee :flower: <playing Sherlock tonight>

Hey Yip!!

I didn't grab the single chlorine puck, so didn't try that - but the sock with the vitamin c was already removing on the steps with little no rubbing - so based on that I'm assuming a metal stain.

Where to from here?

Thanks for the quick help!!

Ok Vex, lets work this out- Grab some cheap-o chewable Vitamin C tablets and stuff'em in a sock. Bang it up a bit with a shoe or a hammer to break some up. Rub that sock on the steps of your pool in a spot and see if that lifts the stain. Let it sit on the stain about 5 minutes.

Alternatively, go buy *one* single chlorine puck from the pool store (most sell singles, just no XtraBlue stuff please!) and let that sit on another spot on your steps. Does that do anything to the stain?

What we're trying to deduce here, my dear Mr/Ms Watson, is whether the stain is organic or metals.

Yippee :flower: <playing Sherlock tonight>

Ok, remind me.... do you fill the pool from city water or a well? Have you ever used cheap algaecides that contained copper? Do you see iron stains in your toilets?

This situation is about the only time we suggest going to a pool store to have them test your water for metals. Buying the test kit for them is a bit pricey so let them do it, eh? Ask them to test for both copper and iron.

Come back and tell us what they say-

Yippee :flower:

We fill from city water - I will however go on record noting that the Greater Ouachita Water Company is not exactly noted for the best water in the US award if ya catch my drift. Now the previous home owner does have some clairifer in the pool shed - but I've never used it. I have only used the pucks he left along with the liquid bleach I've started using recently. I've not put anything else in the pool. I can try to get a metals test done at a local pool company - we'll see (service in this area can be annoyingly tough to come by). But we know I was using the Clorox xtrablues which have copper in them - so maybe I had too many in over the winter etc? The pool did not look like this when we bought the house. Maybe the previous owner had JUST started using the pucks in question before he sold the house...just thinking outloud. Also - the water company did do some kind of pipe changing and sent out notice in regard to possible debris etc (IIRC) - so maybe some metal got into the water from the work they did...like I said - guessing.

PS - I put the sock down on the pool floor for like 5 seconds and moved lightly around - pool became perfectly clean in that spot....just passing along.

Any other thoughts moving forward other than the test?

Thanks Sherlock..er Yip! LOL

Ok, remind me.... do you fill the pool from city water or a well? Have you ever used cheap algaecides that contained copper? Do you see iron stains in your toilets?

This situation is about the only time we suggest going to a pool store to have them test your water for metals. Buying the test kit for them is a bit pricey so let them do it, eh? Ask them to test for both copper and iron.

Come back and tell us what they say-

Yippee :flower:

Okay... I've been researching your local water supply and you're right- you have had a LOT of water problems down there. Geesh! Lots of boil water advisories in the archives...

So I need to get some other guides input here on what is the best way to handle this since your pool is vinyl. A plaster pool can tolerate some acid treatment but it doesn't mention vinyl so that means *no bueno* to me.

So the options are: drain and replace water, deal with stains prior to drain if possible. But getting the metal out is a good thing.
Drain and replace the liner... obviously the most costly choice. Depends on the condition of the current liner too, if its on its last leg already??
Use sequestrants

Lemme see what ideas I can get from the big guns around here....

Yip :flower:

Yeah - after being in Missouri and moving here, the local water was a bit of a shock ;)

Quick reading notes that people do use ascorbic acid with vinyl pools (at least that's what I read quickly..)

That being said - it is getting close to liner replacement time. The previous owner said the liner ran like $1500 - but I don't know if that was installed, or just the liner.

The pool is still more or less 1/2 drained - refilling as we speak as part of my other thread.

I'll be watching - thanks for the help!!!

Okay... I've been researching your local water supply and you're right- you have had a LOT of water problems down there. Geesh! Lots of boil water advisories in the archives...

So I need to get some other guides input here on what is the best way to handle this since your pool is vinyl. A plaster pool can tolerate some acid treatment but it doesn't mention vinyl so that means *no bueno* to me.

So the options are: drain and replace water, deal with stains prior to drain if possible. But getting the metal out is a good thing.
Drain and replace the liner... obviously the most costly choice. Depends on the condition of the current liner too, if its on its last leg already??
Use sequestrants

Lemme see what ideas I can get from the big guns around here....

Yip :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks cjpwalker for that info - I would think the same....need to get some ideas around that anyway because I'm sure it won't be lone before a liner change is due.

Just had our pool built last summer but I was lead to believe that when liner replacement time comes it would be 2 or 3 times that...

- - - Updated - - -

Ascorbic acid and sequester on order...will address as soon as it all arrives. Thanks for all the help/input everyone!

OK - got everything done last night - WHAT a difference!! I used the CULator kit from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RPLCLH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I made sure the ph was right before starting and that the chlorine was 0 before starting - working on the ph today and will start chlorine raising tonight (slowly per thread on here and instructions with kit..)

Here's the pics!! MUCH better!!

Before:
https://goo.gl/photos/WiSk1Nqr5bv11M4E7

After:
https://goo.gl/photos/staRngnA8N6MnHsv7

Thanks for the help/advice - we appreciated it!!

The liner by itself is probably $ 1,500 and 800 to 1000 more for installation.

I too had a custom laser measured liner installed awhile back.

Try to find the documentation if you can, the serial number will tell the
original manufacturer what size yours is when you get a new one and
in a worst case scenario there should be a number on the backside of the liner itself
when they remove it.

Mine was so old (23 years before it failed if you can believe that) the
serial number was unreadable.

borjs - thanks for that input - I'm betting you're right on cost of installation etc. I do have the serial number in a packet the previous owner left with the house - so I might call and that cost - then find out who can install and get their cost - that way I know what I'm up against when it does come time to replace.

Appreciate the input!!

The liner by itself is probably $ 1,500 and 800 to 1000 more for installation.

I too had a custom laser measured liner installed awhile back.

Try to find the documentation if you can, the serial number will tell the
original manufacturer what size yours is when you get a new one and
in a worst case scenario there should be a number on the backside of the liner itself
when they remove it.

Mine was so old (23 years before it failed if you can believe that) the
serial number was unreadable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.