Ugh. I'm so overwhelmed. Trying to SLAM

SayraM

Aug 8, 2019
Winston Ga
I have so many questions. I've tried to look around here to find answers but it's so much, I figured I'd try to just ask.

My pool is green (vinyl liner). I TODAY received my test kit.

While using my cheap-o test strips, it showed my CYA "low". So I added another 4lbs of the cyuranic acid (I know it's spelled wrong but I don't want to look it up). To raise it to 40 so I could start the SLAM. I've been adding enough liquid bleach to keep the FC around 12 for 3 days. (It's currently 14)

After using my new fancy test kit, my CYA is between 70-90!!!! (Depending on who's looking at the black dot, it disappears for me quicker than my husband) So... How much water do I need to drain to get it back to the desired range?

Also, my pH is between 7.8 & 8.2, I think. Using the side by side test in the small blue box. Is there not a more accurate way to test pH?

Also and too... To "scrub" the walls and bottom, do you get in the pool, or just use the brush on the pole??

Last one... While testing the TA, how RED is it supposed to turn? The first sign of pink happened at 12, so 120. I continued to add drops (wiping the tip between each drop) to see if it would actually turn RED. I stopped at 25.

Not to gainsay Marty, but with the hot temps and dry weather we've had in GA recently, I'd shoot for a CYA of 50 ppm rather than 30. So I'd drain about 30 to 40% of the water.

You can brush the pool from inside as long as you can see the bottom of the deep end. If you can stand to get in a green pool, that is. Be sure to wash your suit afterwards to avoid recontaminating the pool.

You want to keep adding drops until the red color happens (not pink) and doesn't change. Then subtract the last drop and there's your reading.

Last edited:
+1 what Mknauss said.
To "scrub" the walls and bottom, do you get in the pool, or just use the brush on the pole??
I don't think TFP suggests "scrub" but rather brush. Brush the sidewalls with a pole from standing on the deck. Clean the pool floor with a vacuum AND brush.

The idea in all the drops based tests is a color CHANGE, not a particular color. So, pink to green, yellow to blue, pink to clear. clear to polka dot........the EXACT colors are not what you are looking for......you are looking for the CHANGE.

pH test is the best practical test there is......you'll get better. Lower your pH to around 7.5.

Reactions: SayraM
Ok, so... I drained about half of the pool and refilled. Here were my readings this morning...

CYA: 55
FC: 5
pH: 7.5
TA: 60

So... According to the chart for SLAM, my FC needs to be 22. I added 1.5 gallons of 6% bleach, out of the 4 suggested gallons. I went and bought 8.25% then added 3 gallons, not checking the appropriate amount, assuming a little extra was ok. So is it ok? The FC was 28, and hasn't changed it 4 hours.

Ok, so... I drained about half of the pool and refilled. Here were my readings this morning...

CYA: 55
FC: 5
pH: 7.5
TA: 60

So... According to the chart for SLAM, my FC needs to be 22. I added 1.5 gallons of 6% bleach, out of the 4 suggested gallons. I went and bought 8.25% then added 3 gallons, not checking the appropriate amount, assuming a little extra was ok. So is it ok? The FC was 28, and hasn't changed it 4 hours.
Oh, I've been vaccuming and scrubbing. And did a backwash.

You round up your CYA to 60. The SLAM level FC is then 24 ppm.

The FC is fine. It will lower as it consumes organics.

Partly that. Also if done repeatedly, can damage a vinyl liner.

So do your best to target your SLAM level FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use your 'automatic vacuum'. I assume that is a suction side cleaner.

If that system does not get to the walls, you need to brush the walls daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.