two speed motor issue

retgi

Sep 23, 2019
Homosassa, Florida
I have a two year old (only two years old!) Century two speed 1 hp motor w/timer hooked up to my 11,500 gal pool with SWG. Everything's been fine until a few days ago I noticed the high speed wasn't working.
I pulled the motor from pump and replaced the start capacitor with an exact replacement. Tested it before installing back in pump and no change. The low speed starts just fine but the high speed (normal speed) will hum and then the
motor shuts off. I discovered that if I turn the impeller by hand to give assist for high speed, it will then start and run just fine. I did try one more start cap just to make sure I didn't get a bad one but still the same issue. I'm considering opening timer box which sits on top of motor to see if there's a relay or loose wire inside. I'll have to get a security torx bit to do that. 1 hp 2-Speed 56J Frame 230V Pool Motor with Timer Century # B2975T
I would appreciate any other advise/suggestions for this problem. Thanks!

Check the governor/centrifugal switch in the back of the motor. That is involved with the start capacitor and speed change. Sometimes a spring will come off or the contacts become corroded.

Thanks but I found the culprit. Within the timer box attached to motor there was a large 30+10 uf oil filled cap that had exploded.
I believe the initial cause was a small fried 3" lizard that had somehow worked his way under the govenor cover which caused a short that I initially discovered a few days ago. Thanks for you inputs...

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.