Two hole skimmer HELP

Folks
I have a two hole skimmer in my pool. I just start reading up about it after a year. New house and pool to me. I noticed i dont have any diverternor "spaceship" under the skimmer basket. Both holes just open. Is this an issue. Should i just plug up the one from skimmer or leave as is

ms,

If the pool is not new, then most likely the hole closest to the water is connected to the main drain and the other hole is connected to your pump.

The main drain will not work without the spaceship, and even with the spaceship, it won't work all that well..

I don't see any reason to do anything. Thousands of pools have no operating main drain and they all work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have a suction side port for you pool vacuum, you can plug the one closest to the water if you like.
If you do not have a suction side port, then I would leave it as is.

In the event that the skimmer basket fills up with debris blocking water flow, you need a backup source to keep the pump from running dry. So it would either be the main drain, or the suction side port, if you have one. :cheers:

I would recommend replacing the spaceship. It also has a float valve which will keep the skimmer from sucking air if the water level drops below the skimmer.

mine is also the two hole type in an older pool. I replaced the spaceship float valve, but my problem is the suction always sucks the float shut which stops water flowing through the skimmer. I imagine it goes 100% to the main drain. I have to remove it completely or put the float in cock-eyed to allow flow to the skimmer. what am I missing?

I also have two holes in my skimmer.
One goes to the pump, the other one comes out the side of the pool about 2 feet below the skimmer.

I also have two holes in my skimmer.
One goes to the pump, the other one comes out the side of the pool about 2 feet below the skimmer.

The pipe that goes right back to the pool is an "Equalizer" line... But, without the spaceship/diverter, it will do nothing.. I just don't see the need... How hard is it to keep your water level above the skimmer lip?

Jim R.

I do not seem to have any problems with the water in the skimmer.
Did not know I was suppose to have that spaceship thing, it was not there when we inherited the pool.

That second hole for sure does not go to my main drain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I replaced the spaceship float valve, but my problem is the suction always sucks the float shut which stops water flowing through the skimmer. I imagine it goes 100% to the main drain. I have to remove it completely or put the float in cock-eyed to allow flow to the skimmer. what am I missing?

Does your float valve have a adjustable flap underneath? You could try adjusting that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.