Turpentine Creek Animal Sanctuary-AR

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
For my B-day trip this year I had the pleasure of driving to Eureka Springs, AR to visit Turpentine Creek Animal Sanctuary. It was a 14 hour drive but well worth is as we love to travel. We stayed on the grounds which was the best thing about the whole trip. We got to hear the lions "sing" all night long as well as having the freedom to move around the sanctuary freely. We got to see some of the animals that do not normally appear when it is hotter in the day. Eureka Springs is a neat little town but man they know how to get your money by charging to park just about any where :(

Here are some pics I took right from our porch!

Chillin.jpg

Neighbor.jpg

new friend.jpg

on top.jpg

so comfy.jpg

The tiger sitting on the ground right by the fence saw us sitting on a bench watching him and his neighbors. He came bounding down the hill to "chuff" at us and rub all over the fence. We sat there and told him how handsome he was and he plopped right down there to listen to us!

If you ever have a change to visit I strongly encourage it.

Kim:kim:

Re: Turpentine Creek Animal Sanctuary-AR

Amazing trip, Kim! I would love to hear the lions sing through the night. Was it unsettling at all?

Beautiful creatures, beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Re: Turpentine Creek Animal Sanctuary-AR

That last pic strikes a chord...
I used to go winter camping in northern Ontario, Quebec ... the last 2 years running, I had a Mother Lynx, and her cub coming into my camp-site they would hang out, never cause any issues... they even liked to be pet believe it or not.

We got to see them "singing" and knew it was just "talking" back and forth. Most of the time they were laying down when they did it LOL. None of them showed any distress or desire to go any where. Their habitats are quite large with "layers" for them to move up and down. They are given some kind of "enrichment" quite often. From yummies in cardboard boxes to perfume sprayed on different areas.

One of the best things I got to see was the caretakers setting up the enrichment. Well it was watching the tigers watching them do it. They all got SO excited. They were chuffing and making noises all the while watching them. Ears forward and eyes wide. As soon as their doors were opened to allow them in to their yard they RAN out to explore what had been done. It was like watching kids at Christmas! Jumping, leaping, exploring all of the new "toys".

There is a whole different part that is not part of the "tour" part. This is where the animals that really don't care for people go. If an animal shows any distress with the tour part they are removed. It is all about taking care of their needs.

Ron! How neat that had to be! We had a "bobcat" mix at one time. His papers said he was 49.7% Bobcat. Our local animal shelter asked us to take him in after the owners surrendered him for being too "wild" :roll: He needed lots of space and things to climb on and destroy. Our property was purrfect for this as we have 6.5 acres with many different areas set up just for our kitty cats. His name was Thor. He even smelled different than our kitty cats. He was oh so sweet once he could get his energy out. He left us at 10 yrs of age. He just did not wake up one day :( Still miss him to this day.

There was one Puma that loved to walk with us and have a chat. If we sat on a bench she would lay down and "talk" to us and roll around on the grass. She would have loved to get closer for a pet or cuddle but not allowed LOL

Cuddling with a puma :) I have a cat but that is a CAT that can run 40 to 50 MPH chasing you and I can not run that fast LOL

Awesome trip Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.