Turnover rate

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
So I've been curious how long I actually need to run my pump to turnover all of the water. Am I thinking about this correctly? I have the below linked pump and it's fed by (what I think) is a 2" pipe, at least the elbow fittings around that pipe say 2". Maybe the pipe is 1.5"?

Single speed Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump, .75 HP.

See section 3.3 in the below manual. If it's a 2" pipe it's max flow is 80 GPM which is 4,800 GPH. Would this mean it would pump thru all 5,000 gallons of my pool in an hour? Doesn't sound right. The one caveat is the chart in the manual doesn't delniate the hp differences in the pumps.

Turnover is a myth.
You run the pump for a purpose. With a SWCG, first is to create the chlorine you need each day. Then it is how much you need to skim the surface.

Reactions: FloridaPoolNewbie
Since being here and learning some common sense pool care over the unreliability of common knowledge, it's really paid off in setting up and utilizing my VS pump schedules to be able to totally abandon that metric of run time. Just get it out of your head and focus on why all else you run your pump and for how long you need.

So I've been curious how long I actually need to run my pump to turnover all of the water
For the sole sake of curiosity and discussion, you can never fully turnover your water without a separate holding tank as large as your pool. You would have to pump the pool to the holding tank, and then back. But you return the water to the pool which mixes it. The second 'turnover' filters a bunch of water that was filtered the first time, diminishing the productivity further. For the average pool equipment, it would take 3 turnovers of pool volume to filter *most* of the water once.

But the industry advice that every pool in the land needs the same amount of filtering is insane. You pool needs what your pool needs. You neighbor needs what his pool needs. Your yards can be that different with what crud falls into the water and needs to be filtered. Or they host parties all the time and you have just yourself swimming 1 hour a week. So when anyone is talking turnovers, know that the rest of their advice is probably junk also.

Reactions: Saturn94
FBN,

Most pool owners think they need to "turnover" the pool water to prevent algae, which is just not true. Your chemicals keep your pool water clear and sanitized, not the number of time water passes through your filter.

Your filter is there to capture all junk that falls into your pool and floats. By the time your filter captures any algae, it is too late, and you have already lost the algae battle.

If you have a SWCG, in most pools, the time it takes to generate the chlorine your pool needs is how long your pump should run.

It is your pool and you can run it as long as you want... We just want you to run it because you want to run it, and not to meet some turnover myth.

Thanks,

Jim R.

At the speed and duration I usually run my pump, it takes almost 3 months to "turn over" my water once.

To answer your question above, the flow rate you actually get is going to depend on what pump is attached to that 3/4 HP motor, as well as what resists the water's flow: pipes, elbows, filters, chlorinators, heaters, eyeballs, etc. I would not assume 80gpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.