TUBgrime

Nov 24, 2020
Longview, Texas
Hello everyone and Happy Holidays.

I have been waiting patiently for a deal and one popped up in my area for a used hot tub.

I purchased a 2007 Hot Springs Envoy which is a 5 seater 450 gallon tub off of Facebork Marketplace for 600 bucks. Here's a photo of the listing.

Screenshot_20201123-080827_Facebook.jpg

The guy selling was turning the house it was at into a rental property and did not want liability of having hot tub on site.

450 bucks paid to have transported from sellers house to mine. The techs were able to wheel the dolly around my back yard, under a pergola and under my covered patio almost effortlessly. Very cool to see. The driver gave me a trial packet of Ahhsome cleaning gel to use on initial clean of the tub. I had never heard of it before and now have read numerous threads on this forum. It is cool to see that process running and the gunk being removed from these tubs. Amazing stuff.

Photo of hot tub set under patio;
20201123_173344.jpg

The only photo of before cleaning. The tub cover shown above was completely full of water with holes on top so is going to be scrapped. A bunch of dirt had made it into the tub and filter compartment which needed to be cleaned out.

20201123_173652.jpg

Dirty tub above, cleaned up (what I could) below. I used a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water as well as shop vac for heavy dirt and air blower to blow out particulate. I pulled a few of the jets and cleaned them up and opened up the moto massage compartment and cleaned it out as well. Seemed to clean up pretty nicely.

20201124_124659.jpg

The tub came with a power disconnect which I went ahead and terminated per the manual. I ran the disconnect up the wall 5 ft away from the tub per manufacturer and code requirements.

20201125_172405.jpg

I did a bunch of searching in the forum through the many threads about spa covers. Man there are a lot of options. I narrowed it down to Texas Spa Covers because it seemed like they would have the shortest lead time as I was anxious to get the tub protected from the elements. I put in an order for a cover and it come out to around $470. I wasn't given any estimated delivery day only received the order acknoledgement.

The very next evening I found the exact fitting cover (brand new) I needed on Fakebook Marketplace only 111 miles away for only 200 bucks. I immediately cancelled the order from Texas Spa and I went and picked up the cover yesterday. Photo of new cover installed blow. The guy had gotten rid of his hot tub at some point and just had this cover sitting in his garage. He said he got rid of his tub because he felt some static electricity in the water and it was too bothersome for him. (thought that was odd).

20201129_143907.jpg
20201129_143918.jpg

The filters look pretty bad so I am going to go ahead and replace. Ordered set today from Amazon.

20201129_143814.jpg

Also ordered from Amazon today a 6 oz. tub of Ahhsome for 42 bucks(FYI Cyber Monday deal @ 25% off!!!)
I went ahead and got the washing machine and dishwasher stuff too.

I ordered TF100 Test kit per TFP recommendations on best value.

I need to stock up on chemicals and still not sure exactly what I need. The tub has Ozone generator on it but I don't know if it is operational.

The pump shaft on Jet pump one looks a little suspect and was pointed out to me by the tech who delivered.

I am really looking forward to getting it full of water and testing everything out. So far I have $1415 in it.

I had to buy some #8 / 3 cable to run through attic and a breaker for the panel/ sub panel, which is on my list for today. I have a buddy who is electrician to help me with running wires into my main/sub panel. The house had a previous generator hook up that I am repurposing as sub panel for the hot tub electrical.

So I will update this as I work through any issues. My main goals for this tub is to keep it operating efficiently and to enjoy through the week in the evening time. I have some chemistry background in previous work so I am not scared off by using the test kit.

Thanks to everyone in advance as I am sure I will have some questions along the way in dealing with the tub and finding an equilibrium in the maintenance.

Best regards, John

The trial packets of Ahhsome are not enough to do a spa that size.
That electrical is not to code. While it must be 5ft from the spa, it also must be easily reached. I don't recall the maximum height for an electrical subpanel, but I'm sure that your exceeds it. Also, #8 wire is approved on a 50 amp circuit if the total length is less than 100ft. Most spa manufacturers recommend using #6 wire to avoid nuisance tripping of the gfci breaker.
Great looking tub at an unbelievable price if it works. Have you put water in it yet?

Reactions: Mdragger88
That electrical is not to code. While it must be 5ft from the spa, it also must be easily reached. I don't recall the maximum height for an electrical subpanel, but I'm sure that your exceeds it. Also, #8 wire is approved on a 50 amp circuit if the total length is less than 100ft. Most spa manufacturers recommend using #6 wire to avoid nuisance tripping of the gfci breaker.
Great looking tub at an unbelievable price if it works. Have you put water in it yet?
Thanks RDspaguy, I looked up the code for the subpanel and you are right. I need to build a platform beneath to make the height 6' 7" to the breakers (it is 1 ft too high). I have not yet put water in it. I have a good friend who is electrician that coming to help me this week. The 8 AWG wire is probably a 50 ft run to my panel so just need to get wired in. Hopefully I wont experience any nuisance tripping. I am very anxious to get water in it and get up and running/ see what else is wrong with it....

+1. My hot tub sat for 5 years winterized and it took 2 full runs to loosen up any gunk on the 3rd run. Purges # 4-10 were NASTY. I also just did the whirlpool bath at the house we moved to. It also took 2 full cycles to start to see any cleaning. It was surprisingly not as bad as I was expecting but runs 3-6 still made some grime.

It was only $34 for the jar. Worth every penny to get rid of the other guys funk and you'll have plenty leftover for yearly purges.

Reactions: TUBgrime
So got electric hooked up and started to fill the tub. There is a crack on the end cap to the heater I have to fix (28 bucks), and my circ pump is shot and need to replace (150$). So got those parts ordered and the tub draining again into the yard now. I am pretty bummed about it but anyway making forward progress on the tub. I did get to verify both jet pumps are operational, somewhat noisy but no leaks from either of those pumps from what I can tell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.