Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are o/b so don't have a PB to ask. Our consultant is giving us different info than what we're getting from the start up guy and plumber and electrician. Pool was filled on Saturday. Start up guy came today but breakers were off. He wouldn't turn them on so hubby did. But that means the Intellicenter isn't programmed. The blower and Cyclone aren't attached because the plumber said start up guy does that. Start up guy says he doesn't. Electrician said he charges $250 to set up Intellicenter. Is that something we can do? I really don't want to pay him that much to do it. He says it will be hard for us to do. I need a little guidance on what is someone trying to get out of doing something and what they shouldn't need to.

That is something the pool builder does. That is you.

Pay the electrician or breakout the manual. It is all there and will take you some time being your first time.

So we were blessed to get someone out today who actually knew what he was doing. He got the Intellicenter up and running and got the equipment all working properly. He couldn't have done anything without setting up the Intellicenter. Blower is now attached and all is well. I think.
So he added CYA to the skimmer basket. I know I've read that it should be in a sock, but it isn't. Nothing I could do as he was pouring it in. He said it's about 9lbs. He also only added a floater of chlorine tabs. He said we didn't need to add MA yet but our pH was above 8.2 so I'm guessing we do.

Nikilyn, we are in the same boat as you. Our pool was filled on 2/3 and our pool rep for the start up ghosted us the Friday before the freezing week of weather. He only connected the pump filter and cyclone stuff. He did the basics on our I-pad. (Pool light and water and outside temperature). Nothing else is connected, which helped during the freeze. I didn't realize the guy didn't hook up our overflow so we can't empty our pool without flooding the side yard. *sigh* Which is all muddy from the snow / ice melt. If it was hooked up, dumping excess water would go out to the street.

I'd keep track of where your CYA is - If it's at the high end I'd get rid of all pucks because those add more CYA. And from what I read on CYA, once it's in the pool it's always in your pool.
I do know the salt is added after a month. Heater and SWG can be turned on after a month.

Other than that. .. . Brush your pool twice daily for two weeks, sweeping the debris to the central drain. Clean the skimmer baskets. We have had our pump circulating continuously since it was turned on.

So that's my question on this start up - Pool pump speed after the initial 2 weeks. Is there a chart someplace that gives us an idea of how long and at what speed to run the pump? Niki, did your pool builder give any input on this?

Reactions: Nikilyn
Pool pump speed after the initial 2 weeks.
Base speed (rpm) is what it takes to close the flow switch on your SWCG and generate chlorine. Then you need to see if that speed provides sufficient skimming. If so, that is your speed. If you wish to use your heater, it may take a higher rpm. Run time is based on how long it takes to make your chlorine. After that is owner preference.

Reactions: Nikilyn and Sollace
I took the floater out probably last Thur and just used liquid chlorine. I got the pH and chlorine balanced. CA is low for the app but it is above what my start up directions say so I'm leaving it since it will just keep raising with our hard water. I still haven't been able to get a reading on CYA. I think it was Marty who told me it would be able to be read by the weekend. I tested it today and the black dot never disappeared so I put the floater back in. There's only 2 pucks in it. Hopefully it will get up to where it needs to be.

Base speed (rpm) is what it takes to close the flow switch on your SWCG and generate chlorine. Then you need to see if that speed provides sufficient skimming. If so, that is your speed. If you wish to use your heater, it may take a higher rpm. Run time is based on how long it takes to make your chlorine. After that is owner preference.

We're still about two weeks out from our pool fill and about two weeks more to go before our SWG is operational. Weather permitting! We've had our pump running full time at 80% since the pool was filled. Is this what we continue doing until our pool is a month old?

I've read plenty of posts on chemicals. Not so much on pool pump speeds during this time. I feel like we're overdoing it. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will figure out the best pump speeds for your pool once you get it running. Every pool is a bit different in setup and equipment. It takes a bit of trial and error to dial in what works best for your setup.

When the time comes we can give you some starting points.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.