Trying to figure out what this is?

flomas

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Gilroy, California
Hi!
This is like dust, greenish black, maybe some yellow hint to it. This settles to the bottom when the filter isn't running. I do have a huge tree next to my pool you can see it real quick in the video. My pool walls dont feel slimy and my chemicals are in check or at least I think :). If I run the brush over this it just floats away in a cloud. Is this some form of Algae?

I tried to get as good of vid as possible. Pool

Thanks!!
Flomas

What you describe is typically dead algae.

Can you post a full set of test results? How do you test CYA? How do you chlorinate?

F,

Sure sounds like algae to me...

When talking about chemicals, words like OK, In-Check, Perfect, etc. do not tell us much.. We need actual numbers for the following..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt (If a saltwater pool...)

You might want to read through out pool school.. I would start here... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm still using a rookie pool test kit - I'll take some water and get it tested and post the results tomorrow. I'm only testing Chlorine and PH levels. Will defiantly read through Pool school Water Chemistry.
I use chlorinating liquid from Home Depot.

This forum is awesome. I appreciate the quick responses!

Flomas

Flo,

This whole website is geared around the pool owner testing their own water and then using our Pool Math app to decide what chemicals are needed (if any) to keep the pool in balance..

It will be interesting to see what the pool store says, but unfortunately, we have zero faith that their test results will be very accurate. We have proven many times, that if you take the same pool water sample to three different pool stores, that you will end up with three different answers... The Pool Store's main job is to try and sell you something.. Usually a "magic" chemical that is gaurnteeded to fix whatever problem you have.. Like Phos-Free, or Green-to-Clean, or Yellow-out, or on and on and on.. The only thing magic about these chemicals is how easily they can move money from your pocket into the pool stores pocket... :)

The only person who really cares about your pool, is you.. That is why we only use test results from one of two test kits.. Either the TF-100 (What I use) or the Taylor K-2006C (and yes, the 'C' is important)...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Kellyp
understood, my brother manages the pool store here in my town. He doesn't give me any sales Crud, I did order the TF-100, I need to learn this on my own and get a solid understanding. attached is what he came back with from my pool water I took into the store.

pool.jpg

Flo,

The point of having your own test kit is so that the pool owner can do the tests right on the spot.. If you have to go to the pool store it just tends to become an excuse for not doing the tests..

Assuming your test results are correct... you have zero chlorine, mainly because you have zero CYA... Any chlorine you add will be consumed by the sun before you can put the cap back on the chlorine bottle... :)

You can forget about phosphates..

You need to do a SLAM after you get your test kit.. In the meantime you need to add CYA (Also called Stablizer) and Liquid Chlorine.. Nothing else.. No magic from your brother.. :mrgreen:

Add about 20 oz of CYA, which will get your CYA up to 20.. You want to run about 30, but do it in steps... Put the dry CYA into a ladies knee-high stocking and tie it shut.. Hang it in front of a running pool return, or put it in your skimmer basket... Do NOT pour directly into the skimmer or spread over the pool.

I would also add 48 oz of 10% liquid chlorine each day until your kit arrives.. This should help keep things stable...

Your brother should be able to supply you with both..

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still waiting on TF-100, but Honestly what TFP Team has suggested has almost cleaned it up. I will still do the SLAM of course if that's what's needed once I get my readings. But so far, it's looking good..

Thank you all for the responses!!! :cool:

patiently waiting on TF-100
flomas

Reactions: MyAZPool
Only ones to space out are chlorine and muriatic acid. Wait 15 minutes or so between then. Brush the area really well if you want to be sure they are well dispersed. Be sure to add liquid chemicals with pump running.

"Of the common chlorine tests, this test can only be done with the FAS-DPD test. Test strips, and the OTO and DPD tests, do not have enough precision to determine if small amounts of chlorine are being consumed."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.