Trying to figure out my plumbing.

Dave...the best place to start choosing equipment is the end. Decide first if you want full, partial or no automation. If so, your equipment will play well together if all from the same manufacturer. If you're not interested in automation, you can get best value by selecting components from different manufacturers. The time to decide is before you start buying equipment.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike.

Dave...the best place to start choosing equipment is the end. Decide first if you want full, partial or no automation. If so, your equipment will play well together if all from the same manufacturer. If you're not interested in automation, you can get best value by selecting components from different manufacturers. The time to decide is before you start buying equipment.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike.
I'm not real sure what all can be automated, the pool is pretty basic. It'll just be nice to have a pump that can program a schedule and a SWG that will cooperate. Right now I'm manually turning my 1 speed pump on. No preference on brand. It's currently pentair though.

I'm not real sure what all can be automated, the pool is pretty basic. It'll just be nice to have a pump that can program a schedule and a SWG that will cooperate. Right now I'm manually turning my 1 speed pump on. No preference on brand. It's currently pentair though.

If you don’t want an automation panel in the house then look at getting a VS pump and a SWG. You can set the schedule and speeds on the control panel on the pump.

Are you going to do DIY install or use an authorized installer? It makes a difference for the vendor and warranty situation.

Last edited:
If you don’t want an automation panel in the house then look at getting a VS pump and a SWG. You can set the schedule and speeds on the control panel on the pump.

Are you going to do DIY install or use an authorized installer? It makes a difference for the vendor and warranty situation.
The wiring doesn't really scare me, most likely self install. The PVC job that is currently there looks pretty bad anyways.

CircuPool is a good DIY SWG brand.

Not sure what VS pump is best for DIY. You get limited warranties with Pentair or Jandy DIY. Folks really like the Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked at those and I believe that they're mfg'd by Speck, so they shouldn't be bad pumps. If I were in the market for a VS pump I would definitely consider them.

They offer a 3 year warranty on the wet end, and a 1 year warranty on the motor, but with some of the major mfg's only offering a 60 day warranty on DIY installed equipment, that isn't such a bad deal if you're going to install it yourself.

I looked at those and I believe that they're mfg'd by Speck, so they shouldn't be bad pumps. If I were in the market for a VS pump I would definitely consider them.

They offer a 3 year warranty on the wet end, and a 1 year warranty on the motor, but with some of the major mfg's only offering a 60 day warranty on DIY installed equipment, that isn't such a bad deal if you're going to install it yourself.

The major mfgs offer a 60 day warranty for channel reasons, not product quality. So you are comparing product that the major mfg is willing to warranty for 3 years vs. 1 year. I think that is a statement about product quality.

Now if the 1 year waranteed product is 1/3 - 1/2 the price they may be of equal value.

That’s the way I look at it.

Speck doesn’t put out a pump that hits distribution at $150 price point.

That looks like a rebranded Chinese line, which I won’t name - in case I am mistaken.

I have to see people from both outfits next week.

Only way to know for sure is to contact vendor & run the appliance tag through energy compliance database of registered products.

If you do go the Pentair DIY route, Amazon offers an extended 4-year "Asurion" warranty for $25. I don't have any personal experience with the warranty, but for $25 I would take a chance with it. Here's a screenshot...

Capture.JPG

After reading Questions/Answers HERE on Amazon, there are some mixed opinions on whether Asurion will honor self-installed equipment. Asurion says yes, a couple of customers say no. If you go this route double check with Asurion.

Mike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.