Trying to balance pool it’s not working

Well it still says to add 72 ounces of muriatic acid that’s 9 cups dose that sound right to you could my ph be that high?
Yes it wants 2 QTS, I would add 1 QT and recheck PH in 30min (pump running, pour muriatic acid in front of return, water coming into pool) Is your muriatic acid 31%?

Safe rule of thumb: always start with half (especially if large adjustments are needed), so you don't overshoot :)

Ok so I just put in a quart of muriatic acid and in about 30 min I’ll check the ph before I add some bleach
I was reading up on the slam method and learning as much as I can about this whole process
So if I understand it right the idea is to over chlorinate the pool to kill off the algae and friends while maintaining an acid environment of 7.2 ph to ensure chlorine is most effective and when the free chlorine is at 0.5 and holding that means it’s killed off everything if it’s not holding it’s still working and I’ll have to keep over chlorinating the pool until that happens

Am I understanding this right?

In the pool math calculator where it says chlorine it says to add 86 ounces of 6, does this mean to do it 6 times, if so when and what intervals also was I supposed to put the MA directly into the pool in one spot or spread it around I put it in in one spot on the deep end away from the return and jets

Close. You stay at SLAM FC levels until you pass the three criteria outlined in the SLAM Process article. First being crystal clear water. Then pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. And your CC is 0.5 or less.

Poolmath is telling you how much 6% liquid chlorine/bleach to add to reach the FC you entered for a goal. Then in an hour or two, you test FC, then using PoolMath determine how much liquid chlorine to add to get back to SLAM level FC. You do that until your FC holds close to your goal and then you can wait longer between your tests and additions.

Your pool pump should be on 24/7 during this time. You should be cleaning your filter when the filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought 6% bleach haven’t put it in yet every time I do a FC test either the sample barely turns pink even after 3 scoops then I had to step away for a minute when I came back it was pink 3 drops turned it white again when I went to do the CC test it was pink again so I guess FC is 1.5 I was going to add about two quarts of bleach. Just checked ph it’s at 7.2 after two quarts

Is it safe to use the same cup I used for MA on my bleach if I rinsed it out or should I use another cup?

Last edited:
After putting in the 2 quarts of MA last night my ph dropped to 7.2 now it’s back 7.8 to 8.0 also added 10 cups of bleach per the calculator going to add another 4 cups muriatic acid tonight because My cya finally dropped from 30 to 40 I don’t want to give the algae a chance to regroup My FC is at 6.5 and CC is .5

Tomorrow I’ll clean the filter cartridge check FC before the sun comes up and see how much bleach I’m going to need too add in to get back to shock level

Late start today started around 1500 to 1530 hrs; I cleaned up the filter and found out my pool vacuum had been taking periodic trips out of the water over night so I adjusted it to stay in the water and re primed the pump.

Forgot to check ph after but I did a FC test before hand and it read 5 with no CC reading at this time. I added 42 ounces of bleach at 6% to get her back up to 7 and brushed the pool down. In about a half hour I’ll check it again along with the ph to see where I stand.

Water looks a little clearer but to be honest I’m not really sure, I feel there was less algae compared to yesterday so there is progress.

I bought 6% bleach haven’t put it in yet every time I do a FC test either the sample barely turns pink even after 3 scoops then I had to step away for a minute when I came back it was pink 3 drops turned it white again when I went to do the CC test it was pink again so I guess FC is 1.5 I was going to add about two quarts of bleach. Just checked ph it’s at 7.2 after two quarts
The FAS-DPD must be done in one setting, with little wait time, after 1min the "re-pinking" is false, not true results
Is it safe to use the same cup I used for MA on my bleach if I rinsed it out or should I use another cup?
We use the same, but it MUST be fully rinsed and dunked in the pool between chemicals!!! This is for safety!
After putting in the 2 quarts of MA last night my ph dropped to 7.2 now it’s back 7.8 to 8.0 also added 10 cups of bleach per the calculator going to add another 4 cups muriatic acid tonight because My cya finally dropped from 30 to 40 I don’t want to give the algae a chance to regroup My FC is at 6.5 and CC is .5

Tomorrow I’ll clean the filter cartridge check FC before the sun comes up and see how much bleach I’m going to need too add in to get back to shock level
Sounds good!
Late start today started around 1500 to 1530 hrs; I cleaned up the filter and found out my pool vacuum had been taking periodic trips out of the water over night so I adjusted it to stay in the water and re primed the pump.
Is the grass greener? (heehee)

Forgot to check ph after but I did a FC test before hand and it read 5 with no CC reading at this time. I added 42 ounces of bleach at 6% to get her back up to 7 and brushed the pool down. In about a half hour I’ll check it again along with the ph to see where I stand.

Water looks a little clearer but to be honest I’m not really sure, I feel there was less algae compared to yesterday so there is progress.
Perfect! Keep that PH (safe) low so the chlorine can do it's job :)

Half an hour later: FC is now 7.5 still no CC and the PH is between 7.8 8.0 so I dropped in about 4 cups of MA to try and get it back down to 7.2 went ahead and brushed the pool again.

Less algae this time and FC is good will do another ph test in about another half hour. Don’t think I need another FC test since I’m over the goal of 7. Pool vacuum has been eating his shoes so I had to remove a couple unfortunately it’s slowing him down considerably I ordered another set.

Half an hour later: FC is now 7.5 still no CC and the PH is between 7.8 8.0 so I dropped in about 4 cups of MA to try and get it back down to 7.2 went ahead and brushed the pool again.
Did you recheck PH 30min later (with pump running?)

Less algae this time and FC is good will do another ph test in about another half hour. Don’t think I need another FC test since I’m over the goal of 7. Pool vacuum has been eating his shoes so I had to remove a couple unfortunately it’s slowing him down considerably I ordered another set.
Do we have a pic of your pool/water? :) If you have algae maintenance FC levels won't knock it down... But you have to get the PH down before you can commence a SLAM Process (assuming you have the right water test kit)

I don’t rinse it in tap water or anything just in the pool water should I rinse it in the sink then the pool to?
It's really important no traces are left due to dangerous reactions between the chemicals, hence why the recommendation to use separate measuring devices and the suggestion to dunk in the pool if sharing the same measuring device. (swishing wouldn't hurt either)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.