Trying to adjust ph so I can SLAM

I am trying to get my ph to proper levels before slamming. When I did my first test and put into the pool math app my ph was 6 and TA 80. It advised me to put in 380 oz or 24 lbs of soda ash/washing soda. that is what I did and boy it is really messed up now. Now my ph is way above 8 which is the highest reading on the test kit and the TA was 170. I have added Muriatic Acid and the TA came down to 150. Since I can't get an accurate ph reading I'm using a reading of 9 but I think it is much higher because the test water is hot pink. I really don't know how much acid to put in. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lora

hi lora
what test kit are you using
that was way too much soda ash
380oz will have raised ph by 3.4ppm
more like 120oz was needed
dont use a guess of 9
use 8 and adjust to 7.2
run pump for 1 hour retest and repeat if required
the ta will slowly come down on its own if you keep the ph in the low 7's
good luck with the slam

I'm using the test kit recommended by TFP when I first started a couple of years ago. That is the amount the pool math app gave me so I followed it. I even double checked to make sure that was the info it gave me and it is. So how much acid should I use? With my ph set at 8 as you suggested and TA at 150 it is telling me to add 2qts 3cups of 29% acid. What I actually have is Kem-Tek 31.45%. I have added 3 qts three times and the ph isn't budging. What amount would you suggest?

I thought it would have too. This is the worse time I've had with this. I have definitely never seen my test water turn hot pink so I'm thinking my ph is way above 8. I will start with 2 quarts and retest in an hour and I guess continue to adjust as changes occur until I get it right. Will all of this acid not damage anything about the pool?

I appreciate your help!

Hi Lori, I'm just going to add that MA will mix very quickly once added and brushed around with the pump running you should be able to retest after 15-30 minutes.

Also, with TA that high, the best way to have brought up PH would be to aerate. Any chemical adjustment to adjust PH will also adjust TA.

Like aussieta said, take a deep breath :) you'll get this

Go get 'em!

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.