Trying to add Hayward Tristar 950VSP to an Aqua Logic board with power ... problem

macgruber

Jan 8, 2021
Houston, TX
Just got my new 950VSP pump but having a hard time understanding how to wire it. In the old Hayward single speed pump there were 3 wires powering it. An Orange, blue'ish and green all 12awg. I simply removed that pump and connected the old 12awg wiring inside the 950 pump insides. Green to ground and then blue to L1 and Orange to L2. Then I connected both the blue and orange to the white buss bar inside the pro-logic assuming this would then provide the 240volts that I think the pump requires. Then, Inside the pump housing I changed the dip switches all to the OFF position. When I first opened the pump electrical housing it had a black plastic 4 wire connector connected to some pins. Black, Yellow, red and green. I removed that connector and used the supplied spare unused connector (in a bag inside of the pump motor) and I connected the supplied black and yellow wires to that plastic pin connector. Black low voltage on "A" and yellow wire on "B" inside the pump. Then, those 2 wires go up to the upper left corner inside the aqua logic pannel to the 4 pin "green" block that I believe says Remote display) with the black in 2 and yellow in the 3 position. It does not appear that my pump is getting any power though.

Then I connected both the blue and orange to the white buss bar inside the pro-logic assuming this would then provide the 240volts that I think the pump requires.

Show us pictures of the Aqualogic wiring and where you made these connections. The L1 and L2 wires should be wired directly to a 240V 20AMp GFCI CB.

Reactions: macgruber
Ashamed to admit what I did but I just have to since the Hayward rep told me to do it. I'm sure he was thinking way more highbrow than I was able to process but I actually connected the 2 pump wires straight to the bus bar for power....no breaker at all. When I swapped the 2 wires into a double 20amp breaker it started right up. Still going to get pictures posted though because now the heater won't power up. In fact I'm just going to do a video and upload to youtube and post a link for the video.

Attachments

• 20210108_233417.jpg
    20210108_233417.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 20
None of those breakers are gfci breakers. Please go get one amd replace that standard breaker, amd also bond the pump with its bonding lug.
If you plan on controlling pump with the panel you need communication wire amd the proper address for the prologic to run the tristar

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.