Trouble with cloudy water/other issues

May 28, 2017
Middletown OH
Hi, I hope to get some help...I've read through some posts and I hope I can post everything you would need to help me.

I have a 18,000 gallon in ground pool using a Hayward TCELL15 and sand filter, this is our 9th year using the pool. I had it opened on May 22 and it was just the same old green. After everything was in check, the water was till cloudy. The place I use said, just wait, give it time. So, I waited a few more days and then when I tested it, there was no free chlorine. So, back to the store and they said I should add shock, so I did (a case, 4 bottles) and I also needed a bag of salt (FYI: They don't use anything fancy where I go, only test strips.) I decided to look at my panel again and noticed that the button was in the off position, apparently when they opened the pool, they didn't turn it on. So, I turned it on and waited a few days, still no free chlorine. I called Hayward because the panel was saying my voltage was 40 (should be between 22 and 25) and there was no amperage. She had me turn it off and on to check the other side, which was OK. She said my cell was probably failing (I have had it for 8 years). I ordered another cell and put it in two days later. Surprise, still not getting any chlorine and cloudy pool.

I decided to go to another pool place that uses more extensive testing. These were my readings on 5/24/17 (Weds):

PH: 8.1
ALK: 94
SALT: 2800
Free Chlorine: 0
Total Chlorine: 0
CYA: 2
Hardness: 0

So, they said the reason I wasn't generating any chlorine was because my PH was too high. So, I put in 1/3 gallon of Muratic Acid and waited about an hour and added stabilizer slowly in the skimmer.

The levels were good on Friday, and the pool seemed to get a little less cloudy, but still couldn't clearly see the bottom. Also, my test stips read a little high on chlorine and free chlorine.

Today I decided to take it to a Leslie's (the above store was closed today), because they do a little better testing than my store and the pool was still cloudy. Here are the readings from today:

PH: 8
ALK: 100
SALT: 2900
Free Chlorine: 10
Total Chlorine: 10
CYA: 70
Hardness: 200
Phosphates: 500

So, they said I needed to add 14 fl oz of Muratic acid, and then Pool Perfect+Phos free. I added the acid, but I'm not too sure about the phos free. From what I've read online, 500 and below it OK???

HELP! I want my clear water back and I'm getting very frustrated because I've never had these kind of problems in the past. We did have a crazy winter here in Ohio, it was 80 for a few days in February!

Thanks so much for any help!
Wendy

Hi Wendy and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, can I be blunt? Okay, #1 ... stay out of the pool store unless you need a pool toy, brush, or muriatic acid. No other products or testing. There, I said it. :)

Next, you must have your own test kit for accuracy. Right now you're chasing your tail and spending money along the way. Not a good combo. We recommend either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. You can't believe the difference in testing accuracy, convenience, and results. It's that simple. EVERYTHING we advise is based on results from one of those test kits. I love my TF-100 with speed stir.

I could write much more, but right now it doesn't matter without the proper test results. I encourage you to do that first. While waiting, please read/bookmark the vital links below in my signature. You will use them quite often and they will save you lots of time and headaches. Just take some time to get use to those pages.

Lastly, don't forget to update your profile signature so we can see your pool info each time you post. We'll be very happy to help you Wendy. It's not as difficult as some industry people make it seem to be. Almost like trade secrets. NOPE! No secrets here. As easy as rolling a 300. :) Great to have you with us!

Hi Wendy and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, can I be blunt? Okay, #1 ... stay out of the pool store unless you need a pool toy, brush, or muriatic acid. No other products or testing. There, I said it. :)

Next, you must have your own test kit for accuracy. Right now you're chasing your tail and spending money along the way. Not a good combo. We recommend either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. You can't believe the difference in testing accuracy, convenience, and results. It's that simple. EVERYTHING we advise is based on results from one of those test kits. I love my TF-100 with speed stir.

I could write much more, but right now it doesn't matter without the proper test results. I encourage you to do that first. While waiting, please read/bookmark the vital links below in my signature. You will use them quite often and they will save you lots of time and headaches. Just take some time to get use to those pages.

Lastly, don't forget to update your profile signature so we can see your pool info each time you post. We'll be very happy to help you Wendy. It's not as difficult as some industry people make it seem to be. Almost like trade secrets. NOPE! No secrets here. As easy as rolling a 300. :) Great to have you with us!

Thanks for the quick reply and thank you for the warm welcome! I have read that it is highly suggested that I get a test kit, but could I be honest? I must be lucky, because once my levels are all OK (which pretty much happens after I open it), my pool is pretty maintenance free for the 3 1/2-4 months that I use it. That first test kit will be $100, and is it really worth it to buy that when my local store can give me all those readings for free? Just looking at the things that it tests, what I am missing from those that I didn't post? I am really asking, not at all trying to question or be a smart-butt :rolleyes:.

Oh, and after reading the pool school, I think I've confirmed that I shouldn't use phos free :)

17x33" vinyl Grecian - 29,000 gallons - SWG TCELL-15 - Hayward Sand Filter - Heater, HP 21003T

Thanks for the quick reply and thank you for the warm welcome! I have read that it is highly suggested that I get a test kit, but could I be honest? I must be lucky, because once my levels are all OK (which pretty much happens after I open it), my pool is pretty maintenance free for the 3 1/2-4 months that I use it. That first test kit will be $100, and is it really worth it to buy that when my local store can give me all those readings for free? Just looking at the things that it tests, what I am missing from those that I didn't post? I am really asking, not at all trying to question or be a smart-butt :rolleyes:.

17x33" vinyl Grecian - 29,000 gallons - SWG TCELL-15 - Hayward Sand Filter - Heater, HP 21003T

Welcome to the forum! Having your own test kit and testing your own pool water will pay for itself many times over. I haven't been to the pool store in years, and my pool is always pristine from opening to closing with just bleach from Walmart and Muriatic Acid from Lowes. No driving to the pool store, no waiting on line, no sales pitches to purchase x potion. Just plain science and proper maintenance. I recommend reading Pool School

That first test kit will be $100, and is it really worth it to buy that when my local store can give me all those readings for free?

In my opinion (and everyone else who is a frequent poster here), yes. And, by the way, I get absolutely no gain from the sale of test kits. I've never even met in person anyone here.

The reason that I say it's worth it is that I spend very little in chemicals each year. I spend about $100/yr on chemicals. That's what it cost to get my salt up to the level I want and replace the CYA that disappears every winter. Oh, and a little bleach at the beginning of the summer before the SWG can kick in and some more at closing. My water is almost always perfect the rest of the summer

Also, the advice I get it worth a ton. It saves me all kinds of money. But, the people here can't advise me if I don't have a very recent water test.

This website has taught me that my own test results will be different than what the pool store will tell me (tested and confirmed personally) AND that when you go to the pool store they will insist that you need stuff you just don't need (also tested and confirmed personally). I know that my own tests are correct and the pool store isn't because, when I act on my my tested results, the pool does what I expect.

Welcome, and I hope you will join the TFP approach. If you don't want to, no problem.

is it really worth it to buy that when my local store can give me all those readings for free?
dbtgallery.php

Ever get that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you take your car to the dealership for a repair, just knowing it's going to be expensive? Also wondering if your vehicle will be treated how you would want it to be? Well, the same thing applies here. Only difference is you can test your own water and see the results. Often times, the pool store tests and advice is off-target. Why? Several factors that include: seasonal employees not truly familiar with chemical relationships, selling products based on the store's pre-set recommendations to sell expensive products, and improper (incandescent) lighting. You can also take a water sample to the same store two days in a row and get totally different results. Lastly, the same store that tells you to "shock your pool with these bags and fill-up your in-line chlorinator with tabs" are the same ones who will tell you to drain your pool when the CYA is too high. We see it time & time again.

In the end Wendy, it certainly is your choice. But TFP stands-ready to help everyone with rock-solid, science-proven advice that works. You only need a basic understanding of how the grocery store products work to adjust your levels, and of course an accurate way to know what those levels are. The test kits are used by hundreds of thousands of pool owners around the world because they are proven to be accurate, and a good value. For the price of a couple bottles of pool store snake oils, most can get one of the recommended test kits. Not sure if I answered all of your questions, but you're welcome to chat and let us know if you have anything else on your mind. Lots of TFP members happy to reply. Have a great evening.

Welcome, and I hope you will join the TFP approach. If you don't want to, no problem.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, just asked the question. I am all for saving money in the end...but I must tell you this. The store that I went to for the test uses a machine that is very expensive and I've been told is very reliable (by many satisfied customers). Also, they don't try and sell you stuff you don't need (and I can attest to that because my analysis suggested other things that they did not recommend that I buy). Now, the 2nd store did recommend something that I read in pool school is a non-issue (phosphates). They tested it using the kits that were recommended here, then put those results into a report for me.

Nobody has commented on my cloudy pool, so I guess until I get a kit and test it that way, I won't be able to get any suggestions/answers here...thanks so much for the input.

Nobody has commented on my cloudy pool, so I guess until I get a kit and test it that way, I won't be able to get any suggestions/answers here...thanks so much for the input.

Yes, and it is that way for a very good reason. We have loads of knowledge available. People who are experts at many fields that pertain to pools. And to put that knowledge and expertise to use, we need accurate trustworthy data. So we only trust one source, the pool owner running their own tests using a kit we trust, namely a Taylor k-2006 or TF-100 (they use the same testing chemicals). Without that data, we are blind. Your cloudiness could be any number of things and we will not even hazard a guess without some data to guide us. To do otherwise will only be a disservice both to you and our reputations. I don't care what wizbang supercomputer testers a pool store has or even if they use the k-2006 itself, we don't trust a salesperson for accurate results and never will.

Here is just one recent example of thousands of demonstrably bad results from a pool store: Hard to believe Leslie's can be so far off -

Hey, Bowl300, i'm just south of you in west chester. It took my pool longer than i expected to clear up this year too, but it is now, so hang in there.
my opinion, for what it is worth, is that leslie's does use the same type of wet chemistry tests that you get in the test kit, EXCEPT for the chlorine, which is important. i do not mind going to a pool store for confirmation of a questionable/puzzling test result i get, but i do not trust the store on it's own.

Hey, Bowl300, i'm just south of you in west chester. It took my pool longer than i expected to clear up this year too, but it is now, so hang in there.
my opinion, for what it is worth, is that leslie's does use the same type of wet chemistry tests that you get in the test kit, EXCEPT for the chlorine, which is important. i do not mind going to a pool store for confirmation of a questionable/puzzling test result i get, but i do not trust the store on it's own.

Thank you! I am actually in Lib Twp, so we are very close :) The first store was Aqua Tech Pools, so very close to you. Do you mind me asking, when did you open it and how long did it take for yours to clear up? I think I said above, but I opened mine on May 22nd, so it's been 2 weeks today...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! I am actually in Lib Twp, so we are very close :) The first store was Aqua Tech Pools, so very close to you. Do you mind me asking, when did you open it and how long did it take for yours to clear up? I think I said above, but I opened mine on May 22nd, so it's been 2 weeks today...

Well, it may SEEM like two weeks. haha. i opened the 22nd also. just cleared up yesterday after starting green swamp, then milky, then clear.

The only "pool store" I visit is WalMart & Home Depot. A truly "honest" pool store would have to sell a lot of pool toys and be able to somehow turn a profit while competing with WalMart & Home Depot bleach/acid prices to stay in business. Unfortunately, there is a lot of money to be made by prolonging pool problems.

Remember, its not freetroublefreepool.com. A clean/safe maintenance free pool does not exist. This site aims to help you attain that clean/safe pool with as little $$ and effort as possible.

I just wanted to add, that you don't have to pay $100 for a kit. For example, you can get the Taylor K-2006 for around $50. It's the same kit as the $100 Taylor K-2006C, it just comes with smaller bottles of reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.