Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hard to believe Leslie's can be so far off -

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard to believe Leslie's can be so far off -

With the education I've received on this forum I've taken control of my pool chemistry. Bought the Taylor 2006k kit and love it! But I was in a store right beside Leslie's today so decided to let them test my water to see how close (or far off) they might be. Wow, results below-

Test My results Leslie's
    pH 7.4. 7.4. Got that right!
    FC. 12.5. 3
    CH. 160. 720
    CYA. 100. 50
    TA. 80. 120
    PhospHates. Don't test. 500

I know my numbers are right. I've been regularly testing every day or two for the past two weeks.

And of course they told me I needed to add their Phosfree product to get those really high phosphates down.

And partially drain my pool to get the CH down. Didn't tell them I did a full drain and refill in January. CH hasn't been above 200 since.
    In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hard to believe Leslie's can be so far off -

It's the same here in Aus, I occasionally check on a couple of pools that normally rely on pool shop testing. The worst parameter is salt; one result I've seen was out by 2000ppm, enough to do damage to a SWCG if you were to believe them and add way too much salt. They all use a very fancy meter but unfortunately don't know how to use or calibrate it. CH is another one they always measure too high; they test total hardness but tell their customers they have measured calcium hardness.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

3. Back To Top    #3

We see it time and time again year after year. I wonder how many thousands of posts there are on TFP proving that pool stores and test strips are not accurate. This is why we are so adamant about buying a good test kit and testing your own water. Thanks for helping to show it once again.

The pH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We see it time and time again year after year. I wonder how many thousands of posts there are on TFP proving that pool stores and test strips are not accurate. This is why we are so adamant about buying a good test kit and testing your own water. Thanks for helping to show it once again.

The pH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm.
    I'm keeping my FC that high because of my high CYA. I used the Pool Math calculator and it said to keep FC between 11-13.

Didn't know about pH not being accurate at that range. Does it show high or low?

In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

6. Back To Top    #6

PH will show artificially High when the FC is greater than 10 ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!