Trouble getting alkalinity down

David Walbum

Jul 30, 2020
Denmark
Hey TFP

first time pool owner here from Denmark and have a question related to alkalinity.

I have a 17500l~4600 gallon pool with an intex clearwater saltwater system attached to it and a 10kg sand filter and pump

I’ve had the pool for 14 days now with no problems so far the water is crystal clear and the kids love it, but my alkalinity is trough the roof measuring above 300 that is the max my digital tester measure to.

As a result of the high alkalinity my PH goes up a lot to, so during the past 2 weeks I have used Muriatic acid to lower my PH. I have used 2 gallons of 30% muriatic acid so far to keep my PH in balance between 7,0 and 7,8 ( in Denmark the recommended PH value is between 7,0 and 7,4 ) but alkalinity has only dropped as low as 260 and goes up above 300 again.

I add the muriatic acid with the pump and filter running and adding it directly to the pool I front of the inlet jet to mix it as quickly as possible.

I know that most recommendations say to turn off the pump and wait an hour or two for the water to stop moving and the add large amount of muriatic acid so it creates a stale area in the pool where the alkalinity will be worked on.
But I also heard the you just have to be patient and when you lower PH you also lower alkalinity and eventually they will both be in the correct measurement

anyone have any good advice as to what I should do ? Keep on having PH under control with muriatic acid and alkalinity will slowly come in line or try out the other method with a large amount in still water

Welcome to the forum!
I know that most recommendations say to turn off the pump and wait an hour or two for the water to stop moving and the add large amount of muriatic acid so it creates a stale area in the pool where the alkalinity will be worked on.
Please, please do not do that. It does nothing to speed the lowering of TA and will damage your pool surfaces.
Read TA - Further Reading
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!

Please, please do not do that. It does nothing to speed the lowering of TA and will damage your pool surfaces.

that’s exactly what I have been reading and therefore haven’t been doing it... it’s just that 90% of all information related to lowering alkalinity speaks of this way.. hence I got the the point where I Thought I should seek advice here as this foru m seems really knowledgeable

Reactions: mknauss
Welcome to the forum!

So gues I’ll just take the slow and steady route and keep my PH in balance and alkalinity will slowly come down to.. but going at the rate it’s been going will probably take several weeks :)

If you see flakes of scale coming out of the returns or piled up below the returns, that is the sign you need to lower your TA and/or pH. But if no scale, I would not stress over it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.