NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
I am posting a pic of what pool math is telling me but my FC is at 6. I initially set it at 62.5 but FC was 8 so I lowered it again. Going to try 12.5% at 14h. Just curious what the optimal run time and SWG% would be for me and why the pool math app isn’t correct? My goal is 3 FC. Thanks.

Attachments

• D0358162-4805-4659-8681-C192A0B43285.png
    D0358162-4805-4659-8681-C192A0B43285.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 16
Your title has it right. It’s just about dialing it in for your specific pool with its parameters. Meaning, latitude, sun/shade, usage, etc. You said you are shooting for an FC of 3. What is your CYA level? And preferably, if you can supply a full set of test results just to make sure our guidance for you is accurate. You are not currently sharing your Pool Math logs. If you subscribe to Pool Math, you can save test results. Then you can share them and we can see them. My signature has a link to my logs as an example. What test kit are you using? Hopefully one with a FAS-DPD drop method for testing FC. It’s really needed for accuracy.

FC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I need to frequently fiddle with my SWG output % since I have an autocover and it is on for varying amounts of times in the spring, which greatly changes the need for FC from day to day. For example, by CYA is now 80, but I let my FC get up to 15 because I had ramped up pump run time for when it was open last weekend, but didn’t lower it when it was cool and covered this week. No worries, I set it to 0 for a few days. It is currently dropping.

SWG’s aren’t set and forget, so you will always be checking your FC every few days to see how its tracking.

Following up, your posted picture is just a point in time of what you will add to your pool by running the pump for that amount of time and at that SWG setting. It’s not telling you what you should be adding based on your current levels.

Good point. Until you’ve had your pool for a year or two, and gone through all seasons and situations, there will be a growing comfort level that is gained regarding what to do. It will soon be as second nature as, oh, I’m thirsty, I’ll get a drink of water, regarding what your pool needs.

I’ll comment on something that will be applicable to the OP and Mark. A filter getting dirty isn’t the root cause for needing more FC though, likely something was causing your filter to get dirty like a nascent algae outbreak. But I don’t want to get sidetracked here following up on that.

Reactions: adm525
Good point. Until you’ve had your pool for a year or two, and gone through all seasons and situations, there will be a growing comfort level that is gained regarding what to do. It will soon be as second nature as, oh, I’m thirsty, I’ll get a drink of water, regarding what your pool needs.

I’ll comment on something that will be applicable to the OP and Mark. A filter getting dirty isn’t the root cause for needing more FC though, likely something was causing your filter to get dirty like a nascent algae outbreak. But I don’t want to get sidetracked here following up on that.
Mine was clogged from pollen ( Ga privilege ) and I run my pressure at 3.5 so learned and cranked the VS up a notch so the SWG pressure isn’t on the edge.
I just added mine a few months so definitely learning :) seems to like being a 2/8 power

Your title has it right. It’s just about dialing it in for your specific pool with its parameters. Meaning, latitude, sun/shade, usage, etc. You said you are shooting for an FC of 3. What is your CYA level? And preferably, if you can supply a full set of test results just to make sure our guidance for you is accurate. You are not currently sharing your Pool Math logs. If you subscribe to Pool Math, you can save test results. Then you can share them and we can see them. My signature has a link to my logs as an example. What test kit are you using? Hopefully one with a FAS-DPD drop method for testing FC. It’s really needed for accuracy.

FC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I need to frequently fiddle with my SWG output % since I have an autocover and it is on for varying amounts of times in the spring, which greatly changes the need for FC from day to day. For example, by CYA is now 80, but I let my FC get up to 15 because I had ramped up pump run time for when it was open last weekend, but didn’t lower it when it was cool and covered this week. No worries, I set it to 0 for a few days. It is currently dropping.

SWG’s aren’t set and forget, so you will always be checking your FC every few days to see how its tracking.

I am not sure how to link pool math but my most recent results with TF-100 are:
FC-6
CC-0
CYA-40
PH-7.7
TA-100
CA-50

I had CYA at 60 but we have gotten a ton of rain and I’m guessing that’s why it dropped. Pool is 74 degrees and is in full sun all day.

Reactions: markayash
We used liquid chlorine the first 2 years we had the pool and added the swg this season.

Raise your CYA up to 80 so your SWG isn’t working so much. As it did before, your CYA will drop will rainfall overflow or pump out, or splashout.

In Pool Math, hit the settings gear button at the top right. Scroll down all the way. Select “Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile”. Then the link will appear when your profile picture is clicked/tapped.

Raise your CYA up to 80 so your SWG isn’t working so much. As it did before, your CYA will drop will rainfall overflow or pump out, or splashout.

In Pool Math, hit the settings gear button at the top right. Scroll down all the way. Select “Link from TroubleFreePool.com user profile”. Then the link will appear when your profile picture is clicked/tapped.

How does the CYA determine how hard the swg works?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I got pool math linked. I turned off
The swg for 24h and set it at 25% for 10h so we’ll see how that does. I plan on adding CYA tomorrow. Thanks.

Reactions: markayash
How does the CYA determine how hard the swg works?
Higher levels of CYA are recommended because the SWG is slow at adding chlorine and can use the extra protection from the sun. So you run a higher CYA, and your cell gets to work less. Higher CYA levels require higher FC levels, but you are only raising it once, then you get the benefit of higher CYA making your FC last longer ongoing. And offsetting the need for higher FC levels are that SWG pools can run slightly lower relative FC levels due to the more consistent addition of FC, thus eliminating the spikes and valleys of bleach addition, which are the need for somewhat higher recommended FC levels.

They are great at making FC over time, but would struggle with a low CYA because they can’t add it fast enough. All of which is magnified in the peak of summer with high water temps, high sun angle and high pool usage.

But you can really ignore all that and know that your CYA level should be higher 70-80 and you will be operating your cell in the most efficient manner.

Thank you! I thought you were saying that the swg works independently depending on CYA but you have to adjust it manually ??‍♀️ My FC is at 2.5 being set at 25% for 10h, it’s only been on about 6h though. Am I correct in thinking that once I get it dialed in that it will keep about the same FC at all times? I won’t have to keep adjusting it constantly? I know I will some due to weather, swimming, temp, etc.

Thank you! I thought you were saying that the swg works independently depending on CYA but you have to adjust it manually ??‍♀️ My FC is at 2.5 being set at 25% for 10h, it’s only been on about 6h though. Am I correct in thinking that once I get it dialed in that it will keep about the same FC at all times? I won’t have to keep adjusting it constantly? I know I will some due to weather, swimming, temp, etc.
That is correct. If most things are constant, your FC should remain pretty stable once you identify the proper runtime and % for those circumstances.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.