Trouble balancing Chlorine - Vinyl non-salt water pool

nutshellml

Jun 26, 2019
New Jersey
Morning all. I have a 15' round 48" deep vinyl pool, about 5000 gallons w/ a sand filter. I'm having trouble getting my Free Chlorine in Range and bringing my Combined Chlorine down. I tested and my FC was .2 and CC was 2. I added Dichlor about 3-4oz and my FC was still about .2 and my CC went to 3.

Any thoughts or advice was hoping to get the kiddos in the pool today...

What test do you have?

You need to follow the SLAM Process to clear up the algae you probably have. First step is to get a complete set of test results from a good test kit like the TF-100 Test Kits

What test do you have?

You need to follow the SLAM Process to clear up the algae you probably have. First step is to get a complete set of test results from a good test kit like the TF-100 Test Kits
I have that one. I also have been using an algaecide. Initial dose. Then the weekly/bi weekly dose. I do not see any green or yellow. There is a very slight cloudiness, but not bad.

There is no need to use an algaecides if you maintain proper chlorine levels. Have you added any other chemicals that could be giving you a false CC reading?

Add 10 PPM of FC with bleach and retest FC and CC after 15 minutes and report back

Could you post a picture of your water for us? Taken now?

The fast consumption of FC and high CC implies you have ammonia in this water.
It would be best to drain and refill. Is that a possibility?

What algaecide have you been using -- name, brand, ingredients? That could be a source of ammonia ----

Ok, so just retested w/ 10ml sample. I got FC 3.5 and CC 1.5. Maybe i didn't give it enough time between dumping 10ppm and testing... The algecide I used was HTC Super Algae Guard 60 4in1

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 11
OK -- false alarm on the ammonia.

Can you give us the ingredients of that algaecide? Or post a picture of the ingredients?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. It does add ammonia to the pool water. So the FC is being used up by the algaecide. Quit using it and your FC should hold better.

Reactions: nutshellml
The CC was from the algaecide. Your pool water is clear.

I would take the FC to SLAM level and keep it there for a couple days, then test your CC and do a OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.