Tried SLAM - Went another route, pool clear now but new question

NicoleIvy2004

Aug 31, 2021
Tampa, Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys! I haven't posted in a while, but thanks again for the past help where I was truly new and worried about the "difficult" testing. I had bought the TF- 100 Test Kit.
Now, my pool went green for the first time and I know it's all my fault! Over the winter here in Tampa, FL, I got lazy with testing. I hadn't done a test in a few months honestly (please don't hate me). I simply added liquid chlorine weekly.

Anyway, our version of winter turned in to spring, and plants are blooming like crazy and I notice while brushing the pool that there's a lot more stuff kicking up. I figure it's just pollen and brush the pool extra well because other than that, it was clear. Then, BAM, this past weekend it went green. So I did a full test using my TF-100; is this the correct one to be able to properly do a SLAM?

We cleaned out the filter extra well. We probably need to do that again. The pool has been running 24/7 all weekend since this started. As of this morning, the spa looks the cleanest, then shallow end, and then the deep end is the most cloudy and still kinda green. Being this is our first time needing to do a SLAM, it has been very difficult to keep up with over the course of a few days with little improvement. I will say that now when we brush, there isn't a kickup of yellow stuff. So that's something right? lol

We just don't have the time to continuously test FC and ensure that SLAM levels are being maintained. Keeping the FCs within our recommended SLAM level has been difficult. It seems to drop quickly even with a CYA of 40 (so FC should be 16 at SLAM according to the chart).

I do not have pics nor still know exactly what equipment I have, but I can say that I turned one valve from spa to pool jets. So now the two pool wall jets (I think you call them returns?) are on stronger while the spa is barely spilling over into the pool. My husband is going by the pool store today to get their shock product; they described it as something he'll add to the pool along with liquid chlorine.

Also, I remember right before I bought this house last summer, the pool guy slacked and let the pool start going green. I told the owner (out of state) and she yelled at the pool guy to get there immediately. He did and the pool was sparkling again the next day. Why was whatever process he did so quick? I'm hoping whatever my husband is doing today works as quickly. While I love love LOVE this website, between even the two of us, we just don't have the time to maintain SLAM levels for several days. 🤷‍♀️

But lesson learned...don't be lazy with testing! And lesson #2: yellow debris that kicks up easily in otherwise clear water probably isn't pollen. LOL

Last edited:
The SLAM Process will work with less frequent testing, but it will take longer and use more chlorine.

My husband is going by the pool store today to get their shock product; they described it as something he'll add to the pool along with liquid chlorine
Pool $tore advice is generally incompatible with the advice you will find here. They do not have any magic potions that will solve your problem. You have a high quality test kit and liquid chlorine. That's all you need.

So testing every 90 minutes? What about your job? What about sleep? What about...life? That is a long time. I salute you for committing your life to a SLAM process for weeks. I'm dealing with a green pool now and recently posted about it. We just don't have the time to test frequently, for weeks, and have a pool unusable for weeks due to this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done doing a SLAM for my cousin. Started with testing three times a day and then went to twice a day on day number three. It is more important to check more often at the beginning because the chlorine will drop faster.

The pool is safe to swim in up to SLAM level of chlorine. His kids were swimming towards the end of the SLAM-was probably safer for them than when there was no chlorine in the water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You need to commit 2 days of mostly being home. If you baby sit it every 2-3 hours on Saturday, you can still run errands, drop the kids off or mow the yard. Sunday the FC will hold much better lasting 4+ hours each dose, providing you really kept your FC up the day before. You can get alot more done in those longer spans on Sunday. You can top it off and buy yourself the next 4+ hours at any time, for example. By Monday it will be holding 8+ hours with plenty of time in between to go to work.

The rest of the SLAM is waiting for the filter to filter out all the dead algae. You keep the FC up just because, but it's mostly there at the next testing time. This stage can last 2+ weeks if the equipment is under sized. It can only do so much at a time. But you can easily find the time to brush once or twice a day and backwash every other day-ish as needed.

Last edited:
Every 90 minutes isn’t necessary but
4- 5 x’s a day in the beginning is recommended as the fc levels drop more rapidly then begin to hold a little longer allowing for 2-3x’s a day. You can go with less frequency but it tends to drag things out. As mentioned above the pool is safe to swim in at fc levels anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as you can see the bottom of the pool for safety reasons. Really long slams often have an underlying reason like a higher cya than originally thought so slam level isn’t being reached, haphazard frequency of testing/dosing (we know life can often get in the way/take priority) - so we often suggest people start on the weekend or when they know they will be off a couple days so they can hit it hard & then be able to maintain the 3-4x’s a day after returning to work (before work, lunch possibly, after work, & before bed), other things that delay progress include waiting to get at hidden areas like light niches & ladders/steps because they hope the high chlorine level will deal with it (it usually doesn’t).
This isn’t really a maintenance regiment that’s meant to be a routine occurrence in one’s life. It’s meant to eradicate algae for good so with proper maintenance you NEVER have to do it again. There are senior members here who have never had to do the SLAM Process because they have always followed the Recommended Levels so they have never gotten an algae bloom.

Last edited:
Why was whatever process he did so quick?

My guess is that he just dumped a massive dose of chlorine into the pool, far over SLAM level, and high enough that it risks pool damage.

It’s also likely that even though the pool cleared, all of the algae wasn’t killed. You’ve probably had a lingering algae bloom the entire time, kept at bay by your normal chlorine additions, that came roaring back when you slacked a bit on testing.

The SLAM process is designed to safely kill ALL the algae, not just make the water look clear. Without passing all 3 SLAM criteria, you can’t be assured you’ve gotten all the algae, and it could come back the first moment you let your guard down.

SUPER HUGE MONDO +1. Do you want it fixed, or do you want it fixed for 2 to 3 weeks so that next time you think its a new problem ? ( That likely requires a couple hundred dollar service call. ) Folks tend to fire their pool guy, and the new one works awsome for a bit, until they have to fire him too.

Go after the root of the problem

As always, you guys are great. Thank you for all your thoughts, and I found other similar threads helpful too. So the pool *looks* clear as of this morning, and this is after my husband put in a product called "Green Away" (if I remember correctly). The pool wasn't swamp green to begin with...it was more like a strong tint that just wouldn't go away. Anyways, what's done is done; and we were also impatient to have a good-looking pool for this Thursday (Cinco de Mayo) when neighbors come over to hang out. So that on top of not much time we went this route of using the product after a few days of trying to keep chlorine at a SLAM level.

We also scrubbed extra. Got a new brush that better gets into the curves. Scrubbed out the skimmer area too. No ladders so just scrubbed the heck out of the stairs and seating areas, walls, floors, etc. My husband is doing another thorough cleaning of the filter this morning too.

This evening when I get home, I will do a full test to see where everything is, and go from there. I will include the overnight chlorine test too.
I'll be sure not to slack on my testing again; and now I know that when I see "pollen" kicked up after brushing, I should do a SLAM right then and there *before* it goes green! I imagine a SLAM before it even goes green would not take long. :cool:

By the way, do all pools have a backwash feature? When is that process needed?

Reactions: Jennybird
This evening when I get home, I will do a full test to see where everything is, and go from there. I will include the overnight chlorine test too
The OCLT is always your guide. If you see something that you're unsure about, either pollen/algae or an unexpected FC loss, OCLT.

I should do a SLAM right then and there *before* it goes green! I imagine a SLAM before it even goes green would not take long.
It is far preferable to believe your testing and SLAM with the upper hand in the fight. Algae grows exponentially and your regular testing will give you the red flags that a minor outbreak is occurring. The last couple of growth cycles are the difference between a clear pool easy SLAM, and a rager with a swamp. Once it's a swamp the growth is like trying to stop a runaway train, and then having to filter out bazillions more particles of dead algae.
By the way, do all pools have a backwash feature? When is that process needed
Sand and DE filters do if you have a MPV (multi port valve........ the thingy with the handle by the filter). Cartridges do not as reversing the flow would blow apart the carts. Either filter needs cleaning at a rise of 25% PSI over clean PSI.

• Love
Reactions: NicoleIvy2004

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so I did an overnight loss test. Strangely, last night I read a FC of 4.5, and this morning a FC of 5. So perhaps some sort of error on my part? The pool had been running all day and night so that wasn't it. Any thoughts?

Also, I have CC of 0.
The water is clear, *however*, I brushed again yesterday evening and that same yellowish debris kicked up. Not a whole lot, but definitely noticeable while brushing. So is it considered clear water or not? That would be the only parameter I wouldn't meet if that is the case. Again, water is crystal clear otherwise.

I think the yard guy came by yesterday too cuz there was grass clippings in the pool I needed to fish out. So maybe that's part of the reason for the yellowish "dust"?
(I added a link to my PoolMath logs in my signature below.)

.5 loss in OCLT and 0 CC points to environmental stuffs, pollen, etc. Get a 2nd pass tonight to sleep like a baby. Retest anytime you wonder. :)

Reactions: NicoleIvy2004
Okay, so if I run another OCLT this evening/tomorrow morning, and all is fine in the morning, then it's probably fine even though when I brushed yesterday, I saw the yellow stuff kick up (clear water otherwise and couldn't see the stuff until brushing)? When I get home today I'll brush yet again as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.