Treating Black Algea spots with Bleach Gel?

Sep 26, 2017
Modesto
Issue: I am getting a crop of of the black algae dots in the plaster in random places around the pool. Typically no bigger than a 1/4" in diameter.
Background: The pool cover is new this season. The cover really keeps heat in it in (an aside: If you don't have a cover, it is really no trouble to use if you get a cover reel, and really make the pool temp comfortable. )

Results: As a result of minimal Chlorine dosing + warmer water than last summer after adding a pool cover, the algea spots show up.
I want to try to use a Bleach Gel product used in bathrooms to see if I can pinpoint deliver chlorine to the spots of black algae.

Question/ Solution:
Does anyone recommend or not recommend using a product like Clorox Bleach Gel to spot treat black algae?
The product I saw contains the following chemicals:
1) Sodium Hypoclorate (bleach)
2) Sodium Silicate (???? not sure what this does )
3) Surfactants (not excited about making bubbly water)
4) Sodium Hydroxide (coincidentally used to increase PH. Although my water chemistry doesn't need it.) :
The slime coating of the black algae would be constantly attacked by the gel placed on the algea. It will deliver a concentrated dose of chlorine & sodium hydroxide to the algea. At least that is my hope or hopeful logic.

I"m open to advice...

Your first and best bet is to follow the advice listed by Marty.

The key is to scrub the black algae often. A stainless steel brush is best. I use a mask and snorkel and get down there to make sure I got it. I even use a small bamboo bbq skewer to pick at the spots. If you want to go even further, after the scrape a turkey baster will some 10% squirted right over the spot will help direct some high dose there for a short time.

Then again follow Marty's advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.