Travertine Spillway Dissolving During Acid Startup On New Plaster Pool

Birddogshiner

May 27, 2020
Houston
Our builder started up our pool on Friday around noon and within 24 hours the travertine spillway from our raised spa into our pool is starting to erode away. The rocks are just dissolving. I checked the pH and it is 2.92. The builder said they added 10 gallons of acid to the pool. I think the pool is 17,000 gallons. They are coming back on Monday to neutralize the water. Looks like they are going to have to replace the travertine pavers on the spillway. Just curious if anyone else has run into this. The builder said they rarely have a problem with the travertine pavers but at this pH I would think it would be expected.

I am going to put this out there -- is it really a good idea to have pool water constantly running over travertine?

I would use a more impervious rock than travertine.

Reactions: proavia
Boy am I glad I saw this post! My travertine coping/deck is being installed this week and due to all the delays I was just going to have them cut a piece of travertine for the spillway. Now I won’t. Any suggestions for the most appropriate piece of stone for a spillway?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.