Translucent particles

The Spaniard

Apr 19, 2020
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Hello, My pool construction was completed Sept 2020. I have a fiberglass 19k gallon pool with a Pentair system including 3 hp VSP pump and cartridge filter. I use TFP and pool math and have all chemicals in or close to range. Water in daytime is absolutely clear. Yet when the pool lights come on there is particles floating everywhere. I replaced filter 3 weeks ago with a brand new after the old was overused to clean out the construction mess. I read on TFP not to aid unnecessary chemicals to clarify so asking for help.

Attachments

• DF091378-C25E-4B99-9473-F9759378CBAB.jpeg
    DF091378-C25E-4B99-9473-F9759378CBAB.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 29
  • FD8F195B-9FE6-45E3-A8E0-513CB064AC40.png
    FD8F195B-9FE6-45E3-A8E0-513CB064AC40.png
    328 KB · Views: 28
Your FC is on the edge of low for a CYA of 100. You also have been adding a number of dry additives recently. Including sodium bisulfate (dry acid) that will destroy your SWCG. So I would suggest you discontinue that.

Do you have pollen in the air in your area?

Good chemical catch by Marty. For the specks in the water, I believe you are seeing what are often referred to as floaties. Just normal stuff in you water this is only visible with the pool lights on. The solution, if you care to address it (it's not necessary - aesthetic only) is to run your filter longer. We both have cartridge filters (sand will leave a few more and DE a few less). I can prove that will work because when I close my autocover (so zero debris is entering), and continue to run my pump a lot (say 12 hours or more) I can get the number of floaties down to a very low number. Normally, with my pool cover open, I probably have about half of the number you have, if my view of your picture is accurate.

Reactions: The Spaniard
It is a shame that you're starting off with such a high CYA given it's a brand new pool. By itself it's not a huge issue but one complication I can think of is that you'll be running up against 10 FC a lot of the time and at that level your pH test, which is a bit fiddly to read well to begin with, will then not give you accurate readings and you'll be left in the dark on your pH result that is very important to keep on top of.

Not sure what your fill water situation is, but given your water temp is still low and likely not swimmable for a little while longer, not sure what you might think to a partial drain and refill to get that level down a bit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.