Traditional Robot vs Polaris Quattro Sport

I know this is an old thread but I’m considering buying the Quattro. I really like the benefit of keeping electrical cords off my decking and since I already have a booster pump powering my Polaris 280 it’s an easy transition.

@Tatino80 did you end up getting one? If so how has your experience been so far?

@rphpool any other issues since your last post?

Gear box split open again making the cleaner not work at all. I was able glue it back with PVC glue. Cleaning like brand new again.
does it climb well and scrub the waterline?? How about stairs?

Thanks

Old thread, new post. I too am considering going with a Robot (Dolphin 200 variety) but my Quattro Sport has been working fantastic until just recently. I leave mine in the pool 24/7/365 and it runs for 90 minutes each day via my automation.

The Quattro Sport was included in my build along with the booster pump, been in operation since July 2021. I just had to take it for warranty repair, they replaced the gear boxes inside as they were worn and it's good as new again. Concerning that a 8-9 month old high end cleaner needed new gears, but covered under warranty this time.

The Quattro Sport climbs my walls and scrubs (since it has front brushes like many of the robots) the tile line with no issue. My only complaint is it does not do a good job on my pool steps, it is able to get on them but does not clean them well. The dual basket media is nice, picks up leaves and small twigs very well along with sediment left behind. And as mentioned in a previous post, it picks up golf balls (we live on a course and every now and again a ball ends up in the pool and into the cleaner). It will even unscrew my return nozzles every so often, fun finding those in there. :)

My main issue with a robot is I would need to spend the time taking it out there, plug it in, put it in the pool, and then take it out an hour or two later. I know, real world problems, but, with my Quattro Sport I only remove it when we swim and then drop it back in that night when we're done for the day. Automation turns it on the next morning and the pool is clean and ready for the next day. It could be I invest in a robot for spot cleaning, maybe 2 times per week to see if it can get my pool cleaner than my Quattro Sport but then again, spending $600-$1000 on a robot vs manually vacuuming my pool which I usually do once a week during the season and every 2-3 weeks off season seems silly. I just vacuum to get some of the smaller sediment the Quattro misses from time to time.

For what its worth, we recently moved, and I bought a Polaris Quattro Sport for the new house, as the 280 that came with the house was trashed. At our old house, I replaced the friggin' Polaris 280 had a Warrior SE (S200). The Warrior SE did a great job cleaning, but my SO hated having the cable across the pool deck. I would usually end up just leaving it in the pool as it was too much hassle to pull it out and coil up the cord (we had a lot of trees around the pool also).

So at the new house the word was...no more cord across the pool deck. I bought the Quattro Sport and have been surprisingly happy with it. I originally though I might buy another robot for the occasional "deep scrub", but do not see a need for that now. And I admit, not having to deal with the robot's cord is very nice. Additionally, the Quattro Sport weighs less than the Warrior, and is easier to pull out of the pool.

Thanks largely to TFP, I've become a fanatic about clear water and filtration - I run an Intelliflo VSF 24/7 (at varying speeds during the day), so I really don't get much sediment etc on the bottom of the pool like a lot of folks seem to have -- the scrubbing function of the Quattro Sport is more than adequate for me.

The seemingly highly knowledgeable owner of the local Pinch-a-Penny told me that Polaris in the last few months improved the design/construction of the gear sets on the Quattro Pro.

I will say right before we sold the old house, the Warrior SE started to just stop after a few minutes, and require several power cycles to restart. It was only a couple years old, and I'm certain that would have not been a cheap fix.

Reactions: jark87
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.