Tough opening pool

Magnoliapool

May 29, 2020
Connecticut
Good afternoon,

This is my 4th season opening our above ground, SWG pool. The past seasons have been pretty easy- greenish water, cleared up in about 12 hours with a couple bottles of bleach and then SWG took over.

This season however, our cover leaked and the water was black, not green. The cover was removed and pump installed 3 days ago and it’s moved to a greenish color but still not able to see the bottom of the pool. A few questions for the experts!

1- the cartridge filter it’s getting filled up quickly (less than 6 hours) and drastically reducing the return jet pressure. I’m removing and cleaning and the pressure returns to normal. Is that a normal time frame for needing to clean a filter with a very dirty pool?

2- The TFP calculator is telling me to get FC to 12 (from the current level of 5) in order to SLAM. When I add the recommended amount of liquid bleach and test again a few hours later, FC level remains about the same (5). Am I missing something here? Is it being eaten up that quickly? If so, how do I “over power” it or is this just part of the process?

I know this process can take several days but want to be sure I’m not missing anything and wasting time. Thanks in advance!

1- the cartridge filter it’s getting filled up quickly (less than 6 hours) and drastically reducing the return jet pressure. I’m removing and cleaning and the pressure returns to normal. Is that a normal time frame for needing to clean a filter with a very dirty pool?

Yes, that is normal for a small filter to clog quickly with algae.

2- The TFP calculator is telling me to get FC to 12 (from the current level of 5) in order to SLAM. When I add the recommended amount of liquid bleach and test again a few hours later, FC level remains about the same (5). Am I missing something here? Is it being eaten up that quickly? If so, how do I “over power” it or is this just part of the process?

Yup, that is part of the process. Test frequently, every 2 to 4 hours, the first few days and top off the chlorine to keep the process moving as rapidly as possible. You will see where the FC stops being consumed as rapidly as the algae load decreases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.