Tough, Economical 2 HP Pump?

Jun 20, 2018
Gainesville, FL
My 2 HP Pentair pump is not doing well. The motor is making an interesting noise, and the housing has cracks which are too numerous to repair.

What's a good economical pump to replace it? I just want reliability. It doesn't have to be wi-fi enabled or make espresso.

I am thinking maybe I should change tactics and splurge on a VS pump, but it appears that the manufacturers don't like to share data with end users. Does anyone know whether a 1.5-HP Pentair Superflo will serve me as well as my current pump? I believe my pool is 20,000 gallons, based on online calculators. I can't figure out the feet of head, but it's a lot. I would say 75 feet to the pool and 75 back, plus whatever bends there are. The pipe is 2" PVC.

The pool has a jacuzzi and a waterfall sort of thing. I never use the pool, so my preference is to open things up to create the least resistance for the motor.

With a spa, a 3 hp VS pump is what I suggest you get.

Lots of manufacturers. Inyopools, Pentair, etc.

Thanks for the reply. It's not a spa. It's a few little nozzles that shoot at your back when you sit on the steps. Silly, really. I have never used it. The "waterfall" is a little slit a foot above the pool, and water shoots out of it. The 2-HP Pentair runs the waterfall and vacuums pretty forcefully.

Because Pentair will not warranty owner-installed pumps, Pentair is out. I am looking at a Hayward Max-Flo VS, also 1.5 HP.

For DIY -- be sure to check the Hayward. Not sure on their policies.

Inyopools has an in-house line that they provide a 18 month warranty on DIY.

I got some advice and determined that a variable-speed pump would end up costing more in the long run, so I went with a Hayward Super Pump. I know these pumps are low quality, because I've had two fail, but Amazon offers a 3-year warranty for $76, so hopefully I will be covered when this one needs a new Mexican motor in two years!

My Pentair is REAL garbage. The pressure in the filter got a little high because some things in the filter gave out, and the pump started sprouting leaks in various directions. The motors on Super Pumps die, but at least I've never had multiple leaks that had to be patched with epoxy.

Thanks for the advice.

FYI -- in two years you will not be able to buy a 2HP single speed motor for your pump. The Federal regulation on pool pumps kicks in 2021. No single speed motors above 1.1 THP will be sold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How would a more efficient VS pump cost you in the long run? And if your pool equipment is lasting only 2 years, that makes me wonder how you are taking care of the stuff. Our first super pump lasted 15 years, 2nd one is on its 16th year with a new owner because we went to a VS, my neighbor has one that has to be in teh 15-16 year range too or older.

Years of discussions here on TFP about pumps. easy synopsis....

1. Single speed - Cheapest and least efficient
2. Two speed - Maybe 20-30 % more but VERY efficient. Payback somewhere close to the first year
3. VS pumps - easily the most expensive buy quite a bit but the most features and most efficient. Payback is normally around 5+ years because of the initial cost.

A manufacturer of VS pumps told me a VS pump would not save me money. I called to order one, and they steered me toward a single-speed pump. That's good enough for me.
And probably your last. In 2021 the Federal Government regulation requiring all pool pumps of 1.1 THP and greater to be variable speed pumps takes effect.

That is correct. All motors of 1.1THP or greater will need to be 'multi speed'. I have not dived into the Federal Register to see if a two speed motor will suffice. I do not believe it does in California, which currently has the statute in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.