Totally lost in testing

backwashing is not bad! backwashing is a normal process of a sand filter. Once the pressure increases the filter is less efficient and a backwash followed by a rinse is required to return it to operational standards.How often you backwash will be based on the amount of crud the filter is getting out of your pool. Which if a slam is required will be a lot probably daily. Once the pool is clear you will not need to backwash very often. Always backwash before testing in the evening during a slam to make sure you don't wash out any of your newly added chlorine. CYA can get stuck in the filter during the dissolving process and after the addition of CYA is the only time backwashing is frowned upon, but it must be done to keep the filter working.

No, we haven't backwashed at all. I read somewhere it's not a good idea to backwash very often. I don't know if the pressure went up. Our gauge is rusted out and I didn't know to even look to be honest.

We recommend backwashing when your pressure goes up 25% above the clean pressure (pressure just after a backwash). I noticed that gauge did appear rusty. When your pool is really bad (swamp water) you may need to backwash quite a bit. It is true that many think that a slightly dirty sand filter is more effective than a bashwashed filter.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I caused the valve to burst off while vacuuming. I didn't know to backwash and the filter is clogged. I'm thinking about doing a deep clean tomorrow of the filter...? We have a new multi port valve with new gauge and are waiting for the filter clamp to get here Thursday to see if we can get the filter working again. If not, we may have a nice rectangular pond :(.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.