topping off pool frequency...and while I am here, salt water generator RPM?

Zplayer

Jun 4, 2022
Florida
1. I plan on performing a bucket test just to be sure. I assume I have no leak. My pool is pretty brand new, and my pool builder was great, so I would consider myself very unlucky if my brand new pool was leaking. I am just a bit surprised, but I should probably not be surprised. I am in Florida, it has been hot, my average pool water temperature is 88-90 degrees. The sun hits the pool starting at about 9 and hits it until the sun goes down. We are also in it a lot, with a splashing kid (and the big kid that is me). Not too windy right now though. I am topping it off every 3 days, and honestly I feel like I am stretching to 3 days based on some imaginary principle I have in my head lol, as I was more expecting in my mind I would need to do this weekly. I am not losing salt or CYA or anything like that. Anyone else have to fill their pool up this frequently?

2. I think I have read that every pool is different, but to maintain good flow on my intellichlor IC40, I have to be running my pool RPM at 2400. Does that seem high? I go down to 2300 and I get low flow alerts. I was hoping to run it less than 2000 to be quite honest, so having to always keep the pool at 2400 seems excessive.

That RPM seems high but it depends on how your plumbing is set up. I can run my IC60 at 1200 RPM if my heater bypass is open. If its closed then there is not enough flow to trigger the flow switch. Can you post some pics of your equipment?

Z,

Do you have a heater? If not, 2400 is way faster than normal.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

For reference, I run my older IntelliFlo at 1200 RPM and that is plenty to turn on the SWCG and skim the pool. I have no heater and since I don't live in Florida, the "Land of the Dinky Filters", I have a large cartridge filter. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am topping it off every 3 days, and honestly I feel like I am stretching to 3 days based on some imaginary principle I have in my head lol,
I'm in the same boat. Don't panic just yet. The fact your CYA/salt are stable is a good thing.

I can run my pump at 820rpm and my IC40 flow light is green. My neighbor needs to run his pump at 2,600rpm to get his IC40 flow light to turn green. Every pool is plumbed differently.

That RPM seems high but it depends on how your plumbing is set up. I can run my IC60 at 1200 RPM if my heater bypass is open. If its closed then there is not enough flow to trigger the flow switch. Can you post some pics of your equipment?
disregard pic, that pic was actually initially after they set something up wrong, will have to take a new pic today

Z,

Do you have a heater? If not, 2400 is way faster than normal.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad.

For reference, I run my older IntelliFlo at 1200 RPM and that is plenty to turn on the SWCG and skim the pool. I have no heater and since I don't live in Florida, the "Land of the Dinky Filters", I have a large cartridge filter. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do have a heater, which despite living in florida, my wife needed a hot tub lol. I look forward to enjoying it when it gets cold here once a year...although my wife has been in the hot tub in the middle of summer. I have no answers for that!

edit* disregard pic, that pic was actually initially after they set something up wrong, will have to take a new pic today

• Haha
Reactions: TampaKathy
When is the last time you cleaned your filter?

For some reason, in Florida pool builders seem to install filters 3x to 4x too small for the pool volume. This causes the need to clean them frequently.

I wish I only had to add water every 3 days. In AZ, I lose up to 1 inch of water daily due to evaporation this time of year. Luckily I have an autofill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your plumbing is not all that complicated. I suspect the filter is dirty.
EDIT - are you sure all the returns run through the SWCG? Appears there is a branch off before it.

When is the last time you cleaned your filter?

For some reason, in Florida pool builders seem to install filters 3x to 4x too small for the pool volume. This causes the need to clean them frequently.

I wish I only had to add water every 3 days. In AZ, I lose up to 1 inch of water daily due to evaporation this time of year. Luckily I have an autofill.
I have not cleaned the filter. Pool was finished end of May. How often should I be cleaning it?

Your plumbing is not all that complicated. I suspect the filter is dirty.
EDIT - are you sure all the returns run through the SWCG? Appears there is a branch off before it.
Ok I will have a look at the filter, how often do you clean yours?

I am not sure, that pic actually was an old pic where they set something up wrong, so I will have to take a new pic today

You clean the filter when the filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

Has the filter been cleaned at all since new? Plaster dust can really clog it with new plaster.

I have not cleaned the filter. Pool was finished end of May. How often should I be cleaning it?
No idea. I'd suggest cleaning it now so you have a baseline.

Additionally, your heater is restricting the flow. Consider adding a heater bypass.

Thanks to this site, I knew to tell the PB to give me the biggest filter possible but when I look at my neighbors, almost all of them have the "Florida standard dinky filter." :) In the winter I was adding water like every other day so I did a bucket test (it was fine). Now with the rain we've been having in Tampa, I haven't added water in weeks...but I do have to keep adding salt, lol. I have been keeping my water at about 82 degrees.

You clean the filter when the filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

Has the filter been cleaned at all since new? Plaster dust can really clog it with new plaster.

Ok got it, No I have not cleaned it at all. It's been about a month since things went "live" so to speak. I don't think I have noticed filter pressure rising, but need to do a better job at observing that

Thanks to this site, I knew to tell the PB to give me the biggest filter possible but when I look at my neighbors, almost all of them have the "Florida standard dinky filter." :) In the winter I was adding water like every other day so I did a bucket test (it was fine). Now with the rain we've been having in Tampa, I haven't added water in weeks...but I do have to keep adding salt, lol. I have been keeping my water at about 82 degrees.
haha I am loving this concept that everyone in florida has a dinky filter. I had no idea. Wish I would have known that ahead of time!

Reactions: TampaKathy
No idea. I'd suggest cleaning it now so you have a baseline.

Additionally, your heater is restricting the flow. Consider adding a heater bypass.
Ok, I just read the link, is a heater bypass something that I can have automated to work from my pool's app, such that I can still use my heater without having to turn a bypass at the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.