Took the cover off pool and it wasn't pretty - starting SLAM but CYA question

Yeah, a nice steady drop count.... 1001, 1002, 1003, etc. So your OCLT was closer which is good. Either you reduced some organics or something about the testing (or both) worked better. Today's weather was certainly different. :) We all saved some bleach (FC) today. Good luck on your OCLT. Looking forward to your results tomorrow.

So :grrrr: I tested at 9:30pm and at 6:20am and lost 1 FC overnight and have .5 CC. It's interesting that during the day tests I have no CC, but every morning I have .5 CC. Here's hoping a few more days will finish this up!

That actually makes plenty of sense, CC is "burned off" by sunlight (UV). During the day it is probably being burned off at a rate it's not registering on the test, but at night it is not.

You put Diver Dave in a dirty pool to work. I'm wondering if he has been contaminating your clean pool every time you use him? I read the whole thread and have not seen where you cleaned Dave since you started cleaning the pool on the 14th.

Could it be Diver Dave? He's been in the pool at shock level for hours on end. And still can't pass OCLT, but I had a setback. Wednesday night when I went to add bleach for the night I was out, thought I had another box of bleach. I didn't go buy more so by the time I got home from work Thursday my FC was down to 8. I got it back up to shock level about 4:30pm yesterday and brushed everything. Pool was still crystal clear. I didn't check OCLT this morning due to my boo boo yesterday. But will try it again tonight.

NEW PROBLEM - possibly what's been effecting my OCLT not passing? So when I have to backwash and go thru the filter settings I'm not by the return when I switch back to filter. But earlier I noticed that when I turned it back on filter I could see a plume entering the pool thru the return for about 30 seconds, then it was clear. When I backwash - I turn off the pump, switch the multiport to backwash, turn pump back on low and watch the clear tube for it to run clear (generally takes a couple minutes). Then I turn off pump, switch multiport to rinse, turn pump back on low and repeat watching for the clear tube to run clear (generally takes a minute or so) . Then I turn off pump, switch multiport back to filter, turn pump back on high. When I noticed the plume I turned off the pump and got a black sock and held it over the return but the plume went right thru the sock and the sock didn't catch anything. However, even if something is reentering the pool, wouldn't it be dead by now from being at shock level for weeks? UGH. No idea what to check on the filter. Thoughts???

Well I still can't pass OCLT, 3 weeks since ammonia issue and 2 weeks since the pool has been sparkling. Don't know what to do. In case diver Dave was the culprit I removed him from the pool and he hasn't been back. I'm brushing at least twice a day. The filter pressure has remained steady. Pool is beautiful but using at least 3-4 bottles of 10% bleach per day. I had someone else do the cya test and they also came up with between 30 and 40 double checking a few times so keeping above FC 16 should be working. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't keep going forever at a minimum of $12 a day for bleach.

Oh you poor thing :( I have nothing..........you have done everything right but something is still wrong.

Wait! Have you deep cleaned your filter??? Have you even had the top off to just look at the sand?????? Hummmm

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Between this and your other thread with the "plume after backwashing", I'm starting to wonder if something isn't related between the two. Kim has a good point about checking into deep cleaning the filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter. You might even find that something is broke, misaligned, or separated in the filter which may be contributing to both problems.

I had a new liner installed right at a year ago and replaced the sand at the same time. I didn't have any trouble with the filter last year. But I will look into deep cleaning the filter. I can't imagine that there's a big problem with the filter since it cleared up the horrible mess I started with in less than a week. But there could be something lurking in there. Needless to say I did not pass OCLT last night. UGH! It's been so windy here that when I brush the pool there are ripples on the top, but the last time I brushed yesterday it was calm and there were a few of the seams where I could see something that looks like sand and as I brushed it seemed to dissipate. So I looked this morning and those same seams have it right back. The water is too cold for me to get in to determine whether it's sand or algae. But if it was algae with all the brushing and maintaining FC 16-20 shouldn't it have been taken care of by now? This is getting very discouraging!

Two things to think of about last year and the filter:
1 - Are you sure you replaced the sand with #20 silica sand? Other types can impair filtration and/or leak (i.e. plume)
2 - When the sand was replaced, was water added first to relieve the laterals of the direct weight from the sand to prevent breakage or separation?

Looking for any other possible causes. :)

Yes, I bought the correct type sand. I'm not sure about how the sand was added because the pool guy that installed my new liner did it for me. But I've used the same guy for about 9 years for initial install and setup, replacement pool install and setup when a windstorm took my first pool down, new liners, etc. and have never had an issue (this is the 3rd time he's done a filter for me). Also, the filter worked fine last year. I'm going to attempt a deep cleaning this weekend, just not enough time at night, but I always have one heck of a time getting the multi-port off and back on so I'm not thrilled about it. I just cannot pass OCLT. My pool is so very sparkly and the filter pressure has not budged so I haven't needed to backwash and all the sand or algae that I had seen is gone (vacuumed it up). The pool used over 5 gallons of bleach yesterday. I haven't been able to test PH in more than 3 weeks and I'd imagine it has raised by now. I hate to drop that low, but I'm going to allow the pool to drop down to 8 or so today so I can test PH. Then I will get it right back to shock level. I am at my wits end! I don't even want to think about what I've spent on bleach but I'm guessing about $300-400 in the last 3-1/2 weeks. Anyone have any crazy suggestions of something/anything I can try?

5 GALLONS of bleach in ONE day?????????????? OUCH!

I have nothing................I wonder what will happen if you let the FC drift down to "high normal" and keep it there? You will need to keep an eye on the sides and bottom for any signs of algae BUT at the rate you are going...........your wallet is being hit hard!

Kim

So I let the FC drift down yesterday as it had been more than 3 weeks since I could test ph. At 7am yesterday my FC was 18 and by 9pm last night it was down to 7.5. My ph was about 7.8 so I added muriatic acid. At 6:45 this morning my FC was still 7.5 but I had CC of 1. So I'm not sure what to do. I still haven't passed OCLT. Do I take it back to shock level or watch it a few days and see what happens? Everything about SLAM says go back at it until I pass OCLT but I haven't been able to for over 2 weeks and the one night I can hold FC it's at 7.5. Makes no sense!!!

If I were you at this point, while your FC is below 10, I would perform a full set of tests and post back here for us. Your situation has been going-on for so long, it's best we have some refreshed numbers. After that, yes, I suspect increasing the FC back to the appropriate SLAM/shock level based on your current CYA will be the prescription. But we're also curious to know how your sand filter deep cleaning goes this weekend. Another member had similar problems with their SLAM, and even though they had no real indication it was needed, the deep cleaning revealed a ton of junk at the bottom. Shortly thereafter, their SLAM was done. I'm hoping your case may somewhat similar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.