Took off cover after around 4 months of winterizing - ALGEA.

davecate

Jul 12, 2020
Swannanoa NC
Hey everyone,

I decided today to take my cover off and check out how my pool water is doing during the winter months...turns out it's not doing great.

I have had this winterizing pill in there: Amazon.com : SeaKlear AquaPill AP71 WinterPill Swimming Pool Winterizer Pill : Swimming Pool Winterizing Chemicals : Garden & Outdoor

I treated it today with Algeacide and Pool Shock. The pump has been put away for the season and the water level lowered, as I was instructed to do for winterizing. My questions are this:

1. Do I have to hook my pump back up and raise the water level again to get circulation going to treat the algae issue? Or is it possible to treat this without a pump?
  2. Do you have suggestions on how to move forward?

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpg
    IMG_5299.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 29
I decided today to take my cover off and check out how my pool water is doing during the winter months...turns out it's not doing great.
Well, that is unfortunate. As @ajw22 mentioned, you'll have to SLAM, but not a lot of sense in doing that now.

For next year, to help avoid this read this article about winterizing an above ground pool. This is my first year with a pool, but I believe the most important thing I've gathered from reading here and that article is to wait until the water drops to and stays below 60 degrees before winterizing. According to my records my (uncovered) above ground pool didn't even dip below 60 until the 2nd week of September, but only for a few days before returning to and staying above 60 until well into October, and that was here in southern Wisconsin. Some people here wait till the water is 50 or below to winterize. The reverse is true as well, the pool needs to be opened no later than when the water returns to 60.

TFP doesn't recommend any winterizing chemicals besides bringing the pool to SLAM levels for 24 hrs right before winterizing and adding a polyquat algaecide, if desired. Wait, SLAM, and algaecide should put you on a much better path next winter. (y)

Reactions: davecate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.