Anderson. SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I have a brand new pool. I bought the Tp pro salt test kit. I’m showing 6200 ppm salt. I took a sample to the pool store and they got the same reading.

I contacted the pool installer and he said he puts too much on purpose and it will level out in a couple of months. That does not seem to jive with anything I can find anywhere (including here).

No warnings from the swg.

What type of pool do you have?

The only way to "level out" and reduce salt in a pool is to drain water.

You will need to drain about 50% of your pool to get down to a more normal 3000 ppm. That will cost you in other chemicals you lose like CYA.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey DCT and welcome !!!

So pool store tests are off, but not THAT off. The PB more or less agreeing makes it 3 for 3.

I contacted the pool installer and he said he puts too much on purpose and it will level out in a couple of months
They have an answer for everything. It sounds like he went elbow deep to pull that one out.
That does not seem to jive with anything I can find anywhere (including here).
The manufacturer states a high and low range. High salt may damage the cell.

No warnings from the swg
Interesting. For giggles, can you confirm which size sample you used ? 25ml makes the result 2.5X higher. Some of the instructions are murky and many have mistakenly used 25ml instead of 10.

Thanks for the replies. It’s a Jandy SWG. The book says over 4500 can cause corrosion.

I did use 10ml for the test, I made my wife repeat the test without my input to double check me.

It’s a small pool, 10,100 gallons, but I still don’t have a great place to put 5,000 gallons of water. I hate it, the install and overall experience was great until this.

Reactions: Newdude
I have a brand new pool.
When did you fill it? Need to wait ~30 days after the initial fill before adding salt to a plaster pool.

I contacted the pool installer and he said he puts too much on purpose and it will level out in a couple of months.
That's complete horse manure. Builder should assume the costs and inconvenience of the partial drain and fill.

Last edited:
Builder should assume the costs and inconvenience of the partial drain and fill.
Totally agree with this. How irresponsible!

But in case he won’t fix the error, I recommend you come up with a plan to solve this when you can by draining half or maybe even a little more to be on the safe side and refilling.

What swg do you have?
It is a Jandy TRUCLEAR - That's the only model designation I see.
When did you fill it? Need to wait ~30 days after the initial fill before adding salt.
It was filled on April 22 - I think he added salt that day.
What model number?

Does it give a reading?
It is a Jandy TRUCLEAR - That's the only model designation I see.
The only thing it every "says" on the display is "Chlorinating 30%" or you know, whatever percent it is set to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was filled on April 22 - I think he added salt that day.
If it’s a plaster pool I believe salt is not supposed to be added for at least 30 days. What is the surface of your pool? Though I’m not sure what would happen if you added it sooner.

Though I’m not sure what would happen if you added it sooner.

When Should Salt be Added? In our industry, there seems to be some consensus to wait 30 days before adding salt to new plaster pools, yet some say it is okay to add salt within a couple of days of filling the pool. Who is right? This thread describes why it appears that the recommendation to wait 30 days before adding any salt is appropriate for most plaster pools, including quartz and pebble pools.

Reactions: kul