Too much chemicals for pool?

Akhan

Mar 2, 2021
Atlanta, GA
New pool owner. never got around starting the new pool service contract so in few weeks pool was almost to green. First trip to pool store water testing they suggested cholorine 5lb shocking, 9lbs of Alkalinity up and Chlorine tabs. So brushed and vacuum and added chemicals as suggested, skimmed and backwash filter etc for a week. By working on it daily for past week the pool is back to blue and free of debris. only thing is water could be clearer, can see the floor and wall of the pool on deep end (9ft) but The floor on the shallow end looks much clearer. Chlorine was zero as expected first trip. Second trip (test posted) went to a different pool store to have the water tested. I didn’t expect to add that many more chemicals. I purchased everything they suggested, Just wanted to get suggestions if it sound right. Thank you.image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Reactions: Akhan
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
Appears I have too much FC now, don’t want to have too much of other stuff the other store is asking me to add. Thank you.

You are assuming the testing the pool store does is correct. We do not believe their testing and will not provide guidance based on it. Your FC for the SLAM Process needs to be 40% of your CYA level. IF the CYA level they show is correct, your FC is most likely too low.

Reactions: Newdude and Akhan
Hi Akhan.. Welcome to the Forum.
We do things a little different than the pool store. First off we want you to be educated about what the chemicals in your pool are doing and the way they interact with each other. You should start by reading some of this:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Also, we want you to do your own testing. Get a test kit that we support here, (Test Kits Compared) because it provides a common foundation for discussing your pool Chem. Pool stores are notorious for having inconsistent results. The first thing I see is your CYA is on the high side.. That is why Marty is recommended that level of dosing. But we are not going to make any recommendations until you do your own test. Then we can decide on the best course of action!

Reactions: Newdude and Akhan
Welcome to TFP!

In short, we do things differently here. We don’t trust pool store testing and they often recommend a lot of things you don’t need and things that cause cause issues later on like CYA building up too much, because they don’t understand the science behind it like we do.

So, you want clear? Well we’ve got clear! Get a recommended test kit, stop following pool store advise and follow ours, and you can have a clear pool! Check out just how clear our pools are in the below thread:

If you look at this link and say YES... I want my pool to look like those!!! Then follow the advice here. Walk away from the pool store and their advice and read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. You won't regret spending some of your precious time here educating yourself and asking questions here instead of spending all your money at a pool store.

Reactions: Akhan and jseyfert3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.