May 20, 2023
Greer, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey All,
So I have gone down the SWG rabbit hole and have learned a lot here... However I am still at a loss on what SWG to buy, so I am looking for some guidance. I am a new pool owner, the house a purchased has an 18,000 gal in-ground pool that is currently using chlorine tablets in an automatic chlorinator. I want to change over to salt water, the previous owner used pool chemicals from a pool store and I would like to not do that and have a more DIY approach. Can you all help lead me in the right direction? I will be installing it myself. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I had to do it again I would. Paying 13% more gets you over 50% more chlorine production. The RJ45 is rated at 2 lbs of chlorine gas per day where the RJ60 is rated at 3.1 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude
I have the RJ45+ in my 24k gallon IG pool. This year was my first year with it, and I upgraded my pump to a variable speed one. the RJ 45 can handle 40k gallon pool, so you are well within your ranges to have way more production than you need, hopefully increasing the life of the cell. For reference i run mine around 15-20%, and the VS pump goes 24/7 now. I have already paid for the pump with cost savings, and by the end of the season i will have also paid off the SWCG investment from that alone. I did the work myself, i am very handy, so it was not a big deal. I did not need the vertical install kit, which i purchased just in case, and i wired the SWCG to the same circuit as my pump on my timer switch. I just took the tabs out that turned the system on and off so it runs 24/7. Overall i would say on a scale of 1-10 the job is a 3/10, the only difficult part is measuring your pipes and fittings to make the connections, and gluing them adequately. Youtube will show you the way if you want to do it yourself. This community is going to be a wonderful resource for you, welcome, and good luck!

If I had to do it again I would. Paying 13% more gets you over 50% more chlorine production. The RJ45 is rated at 2 lbs of chlorine gas per day where the RJ60 is rated at 3.1 lbs.
Yeah that makes sense. I was worried about too much chlorine but if you are at 95% I should be able to dial it back if I need to correct.

I have the RJ45+ in my 24k gallon IG pool. This year was my first year with it, and I upgraded my pump to a variable speed one. the RJ 45 can handle 40k gallon pool, so you are well within your ranges to have way more production than you need, hopefully increasing the life of the cell. For reference i run mine around 15-20%, and the VS pump goes 24/7 now. I have already paid for the pump with cost savings, and by the end of the season i will have also paid off the SWCG investment from that alone. I did the work myself, i am very handy, so it was not a big deal. I did not need the vertical install kit, which i purchased just in case, and i wired the SWCG to the same circuit as my pump on my timer switch. I just took the tabs out that turned the system on and off so it runs 24/7. Overall i would say on a scale of 1-10 the job is a 3/10, the only difficult part is measuring your pipes and fittings to make the connections, and gluing them adequately. Youtube will show you the way if you want to do it yourself. This community is going to be a wonderful resource for you, welcome, and good luck!
I was thinking about adding the VS pump. I planned on checking what kind of power my 1hp hayward pump was using this weekend. I too am also very handy and will be installing myself. Mine is also on a timer so if I do go with a VS I will just remove the tabs as well. So it sounds like you are loving your set up. Now you really have me thinking about a package...

Bigger cell also lasts longer by running at lower percentage all else equal, so the payback should be viewed not just more or less chlorine but also more or less pump time and more or less cell service life

Bigger cell plus VS pump is golden - you then run 24/7 at lower rpm and lower cell % for more than enough FC capacity

I run 24/7 at 1000 rpm with an Ic40 on my 10k pool (25% setting) for about 14$ a month in electrical cost

VS pumps have excellent payback vs a single stage - just make sure you don’t get too small a pump - the bigger ones are much more efficient at lower rpm

Bigger cell plus VS pump is golden - you then run 24/7 at lower rpm and lower cell % for more than enough FC capacity

I run 24/7 at 1000 rpm with an Ic40 on my 10k pool (25% setting) for about 14$ a month in electrical cost

VS pumps have excellent payback vs a single stage - just make sure you don’t get too small a pump - the bigger ones are much more efficient at lower rpm
Okay, is there a calculation I can run or an accurate chart I can review to determine what size pump I would need?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.