Too full!

Mpet

May 9, 2019
Hopkinton, NH
Our pool is too full after a lot of rain this spring. Its almost to the top of the skimmer opening. How do I drain a bit? Is there a way to use the pool pump to pump water out or should I use our small sump pump? Thanks!

Our pool is too full after a lot of rain this spring. Its almost to the top of the skimmer opening. How do I drain a bit? Is there a way to use the pool pump to pump water out or should I use our small sump pump? Thanks!
If you have a multiport valve, you can set it to waste, which will shoot the water out thru the hose that you would normally use when you're back washing your DE filter

If you have a multiport valve, you can set it to waste, which will shoot the water out thru the hose that you would normally use when you're back washing your DE filter

We do have a multiport. Is there supposed to be a hose specifically for it? I haven't seen one around which is why I ask...

Will a garden hose work for it or would that have to come from a pool store?

How do you backwash if you do not have a hose? They are normally about 1.5" in diameter.

I have a raised spa that overflows into the pool, so I put the robot in there, turn the robot/vacuum on for a minute then turn it off and pull the hose out from the pool wall. As long as the end of the hose is higher than the hose you pull out from the wall a vacuum is still present and will flow from the hose. I turn the returns on in the spa so that the spa is consistently getting water.

Hopefully that makes sense.

How do you backwash if you do not have a hose? They are normally about 1.5" in diameter.

My husband did it once with the pool company who was showing us how to work the pool and said it either went back into the pool (??) or went out into the lawn but there was no hose. That was our first year with the pool and all that it seemed to need.

If you have a DE filter you should be regularly checking the filter pressure and backwashing when it gets too high. Once you backwash you need to add new DE into a skimmer. The same mechanism that you use to backwash is also used to drain water from the pool, but your multiport valve gets set to a different setting. You also may have a normal garden spigot on one of your pipes near your pump that will accept a regular garden hose.

Post a picture of your pool equipment showing the filter, multiport and pump. That will make it easier to advise you on how to pump water out using the pool pump.

You can also use your sump pump - just don't set it directly on your vinyl liner. You are still going to need to figure out how to backwash your DE filter at some point as it gets dirtier.

Post a picture of your pool equipment showing the filter, multiport and pump. That will make it easier to advise you on how to pump water out using the pool pump.

You can also use your sump pump - just don't set it directly on your vinyl liner. You are still going to need to figure out how to backwash your DE filter at some point as it gets dirtier.

Here are pictures of the pool mechanicals. I don't really see where a hose would go now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Turn off pump, put multiport valve to waste, turn pump on and monitor water lever. Waste will bypass the filter and send water directly to you backwash line. Now, if you need to backwash the filter, set the valve to backwash - when done, set valve back to filter and recharge the DE.

Just be sure to monitor the water leVel and not let the skimmer run dry. And when done, DOUBLE CHECK that the valve is in filter again.

There is a handle that you turn to the correct setting to filter or backwash. Near that you will see a clear jar looking device. That is your sight glass. The white pipe near that is where all the dirty water goes when you backwash. That is piped to somewhere and should be obvious to find once you actually backwash or drain. You don’t need any additional hose or pipe.
FYI, before you turn the handle, be sure to turn the pump off first. Then turn the handle, then turn the pump on. Only turn the handle in one direction.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.