Too Far Gone?

RobnBrandi

May 26, 2015
Smithville
IMG_1807 (1).jpgIMG_1808.jpg
Hello TFP Nation!

My wife and I purchased a home with an in-ground pool last spring. Thanks to this site, the learning curve for opening it last year was shorter than it should have been.
That said, the pool is jankety at best. I will save you all of the details, but one item of concern this year is a previous patch that has separated from the liner.

Based on the pics, is the liner too far gone or can we put a patch on the top side to get us through one more year? This fall we will be undertaking a very large pool remodel (all the concrete torn out, all new electric and plumbing, new liner, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Rob

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi, welcome to TFP! Looks like it has been patched in that area twice already. You can give it a try, but I'm not too optimistic. If you try you will need a patch about 6" longer than the hole on either side, and as close to the top of the liner as possible. Layer a second, longer patch on top of the first.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

IMO, trying to patch it at this point seems like a futile effort if it has failed multiple times. Then again, I have no experience with vinyl pools :mrgreen:

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
I would have to at least try! There is really nothing to lose and everything (another year) to gain. Just do not overfill your pool and keep everyone away from that corner.

Kim:cat:

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Gorilla tape to the rescue! Kidding, I don't know how to patch a vinyl pool either. :-D

buddywiser

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Morgantown, WV
You can get another season out of it. My patch kit has pieces that are 23" x 6". It's not going to look good, but you should be able to make it work. You could also think about getting it replaced at the end of the year before you close (if you close). That would save you a little bit of money with not needing to fill the pool to the top.