Today is the Day - SWCG install

Good luck. Take pictures so we can see how it goes:)

And remember to test your salt level before you add any salt to the pool. Unless your pool (or the water in it) is new then there is likely already a significant amount of salt in the water from the chemicals that we use in the pool. If you just assume the pool has 0 salt then you will likely add too much salt and need to drain water to lower the level.

Reactions: markayash
Good luck. Take pictures so we can see how it goes:)

And remember to test your salt level before you add any salt to the pool. Unless your pool (or the water in it) is new then there is likely already a significant amount of salt in the water from the chemicals that we use in the pool. If you just assume the pool has 0 salt then you will likely add too much salt and need to drain water to lower the level.
There is a whole 'nuther thread on that. I started at 1000 ppm and after adding 400 lbs of salt, it is 3200 ppm.

I saw it was 2 hitting the gulf at the same time which hasn’t happened since 93. Will be wishing you all well until it’s over on Monday.

The worst part, the European model puts Marco right into Houston, then it drags Laura right over us. The American model puts Marco right over us, then Laura hits NOLA, and drags Marco back over Houston.

And now Today REALLY is the day!!!!

This is where it will go. Out goes the leaking frog and in goes the SWCG and the flow switch. Cuts will go

SWG Before x.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Notes:

1. Remember to fully tighten the salt cell into place, or you'll have a gusher. And not a good kind of gusher!
2. Remember to install the salt cell union nuts BEFORE gluing them into place ($60 later, one union, one flow switch body)
3. Know how to calibrate the salt system BEFORE you try to calibrate it...

Discounting the time going to a pool store to get the replacement parts, it took me about 3 hours. Pretty straight forward install. The biggest headache was the areas for installation were vary small. Much tighter than I thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Salts in and where you want it? FC is at the desired level? All Speed Ahead- SWG coming!!!

I'm testing out the salt cell at 50% right now. I will do a run test tonight on the hot tub to "calibrate" the % to a FC/1000 gallons per hour. The hot tub was very easy to calculate the gallons of water. I have a "good idea" of the pool, but it is not as simple as the hot tub.

At this time, I lose about 3 ppm on a 24,650 gallon pool per day. My CYA is only 30 so that will need to be raised.

FC/CYA Levels

Definitely is working. At 7PM, my FC was 4.6 on a fully sunny day. SWG was running from about 1PM. Normally, it would be down to about 3.4 FC from a starting point of 6 FC the night before. I had it at 50% for 6 hours. I turned it down to 35%, which should give me a 1 ppm boost over 12 hours. We will see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.